New DOOM update adds motion aiming, new menu icon
Well this is a bit of a shock. The official DOOM twitter account tweeted just over a week ago saying that a new update for the Switch version of DOOM was on the way — and it’s arrived today with a few surprises on board.
In addition to the audio and menu fixes promised in this patch, the 1.1.1 update also brings motion aiming. Players have been asking for this since before the game was announced, so this will no doubt be good news for a lot of people. The motion aiming seems to be more focused around augmenting your aiming with the right stick, as opposed to replacing it, which is a fine enough way of implementing motion controls, and after some brief testing we can report that it works incredibly well.
Not content with just motion aiming? Well good news, the update also brings a slick new menu icon, which is more like the very good box art than the previous icon.
— Troy “Stew” Wassenaar (@StewReview) February 20, 2018
The full patch notes are now available and we’ve included them below;
- Motion Aiming – New control scheme option allows you to tilt the Nintendo Switch for more precise aiming
- Multiplayer Parties – Added new party system, making it easier to group up and play with your friends in multiplayer
- Updated Game Icon – Game icon now matches the DOOM for Nintendo Switch boxart
- Increased the average resolution in lower-res areas of the game
- Implemented CPU optimizations
- Added Traditional Chinese language support
Fixed an issue that resulted in a possible crash when using the BFG
Fixed an issue that caused audio issues while playing
Fixed an issue that caused stretched textures to appear in multiplayer
Fixed an issue where controls became unresponsive on the game menu
Fixed an issue where players may have incorrectly received a ban notice in multiplayer