Switch 6.0.0 firmware update given a release date and time
It’s happening, folks. Nintendo’s online service, appropriately called Nintendo Switch Online, is launching next week. And in order to accommodate the new features that NSO will bring, a new firmware update is on the way — and we know exactly when it’s coming.
A system update notice has appeared on the Nintendo of America website detailing when the 6.0.0 update (and most likely the online service itself) will arrive. According to the post, the update is planned for September 18th at 5pm Pacific Time, which is Wednesday the 19th for us in the Eastern hemisphere. We’ve converted to all the relevant Aussie and New Zealand times for your convenience:
- Perth — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 8:00 am AWST
- Adelaide — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 9:30 am ACST
- Darwin — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 9:30 am ACST
- Sydney — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 10:00 am AEST
- Melbourne — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 10:00 am AEST
- Brisbane — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 10:00 am AEST
- Hobart — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 10:00 am AEST
- Auckland, New Zealand — Wednesday, 19 Sep 2018 at 12:00 noon NZST
The post also warns users that after this update goes live, you’ll no longer be able to unlink your Nintendo account from your Switch user, so make sure everything’s set up correctly before Nintendo hits the big red button and you’re locked in for life.
After installing the system update planned for September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday) at 5pm Pacific Time, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user.
Prior to this change, it is important to confirm that your Nintendo Account or your child’s Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user.
By ensuring that your Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user, you will be able to appropriately manage your save data, Nintendo Switch Online membership, and Nintendo eShop content.
How to Check
- You can review under each user’s My Page > User Settings > Link Nintendo Account. Part of the Nintendo Account holder’s email and nickname will display.
- If you are not sure if the user is linked to the correct Nintendo Account, check the following:
- On the Nintendo Account website, sign in and select the Shop menu option on the left. Compare your current balance and total My Nintendo Gold Points with those on the Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo Switch system
- If you are still not sure, compare the digital software on your Nintendo Switch with your Purchase History on the Shop menu or check to see if you have received purchase confirmation emails.
Unlinking your Nintendo Account
You will be able to unlink prior to September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday) at 5pm Pacific Time. For instructions, click here.
The full details and change log of the update are not yet known, but it’s expected to be largely focused on enabling NSO features, such as the NES Classic Games collection and Cloud Save Backups. Of course, we may learn more about it in tomorrow morning’s Nintendo Direct, so be sure to tune in to that. We’ll bring more information as it comes.