Nintendo Switch Firmware 6.0.0 now available
Nintendo has just released Nintendo Switch firmware version 6.0.0! The new update is required to use the Nintendo Switch Online service including cloud saves. There’s also a bunch of other changes, including being able to log onto another Switch console and play your games. You could technically even leave it logged in to another Switch and share games. Game sharing!
There are some restrictions, you can’t play on the same account at the same time on two different consoles — and if you’re logged in on a secondary console, you have to be connected to the internet to play your own content. That might be a little annoying for people who like to play on the go, but hey! That’s how it works on PS4 too, so it’s something.
Cloud Saves will, of course, go live later today, but you will need a Nintendo Switch Online subscription to access this functionality.
All the other updates are rather minor including new avatars and the ability to upload multiple screenshots to social media at once.
Here’s the entire change log right from Nintendo.
Improvements Included in Version 6.0.0 (Distributed 9/18/2018)
Nintendo Switch Online* features and functionality have been added, including:
- Save Data Cloud Backup
- User your internet connection to back up game save data for compatible games
- Some games are not compatible with Save Data Cloud
- To back up save data or download a previous backup, head to System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud Backup
*Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Save Data Cloud backup available in compatible games. Terms apply. To learn more, click here.
Added the following system functionality
- Upload up to four Album screenshots at once on supported social network services
- Only one captured video can be uploaded at once
- Select from six new Captain Toad icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Play your digital software and content on non-primary consoles by linking your Nintendo Account
- The term “active console” has been renamed “primary console” in Nintendo eShops
- Playing software in multiple consoles has certain restrictions
- Display of Nintendo Switch News articles will be limited to match the restricted software parental controls setting selections
- Please note that the restriction will only apply to News articles distributed after the release of version 6.0.0.
- Change the layout of the USB keyboard to the desired language
- To change the language, head to the System Settings > System > USB Keyboard
Removed the following system functionality
- After installing the system update, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Compatibility improvements have been made for a controller licensed by Nintendo
You can download Nintendo Switch Firmware 6.0.0 right now.