Nintendo Switch firmware 5.0.0 includes new ways to add friends and a news filter
It’s time! Switch firmware update 5.0.0 is out now — but maybe don’t get too excited, it’s not a big one.
The new Switch firmware adds 24 new user icons from Kirby and ARMS (finally!), as well as an all new way to add friends through social media. If you have your Facebook or Twitter accounts logged in on your Switch, you’ll be able to add friends from those platforms who’ve also logged into their Switch. It’s a small thing, but it’s certainly a nice alternative to friend codes.
Another fantastic change is that you can now filter the News section to either only show unread posts, or to only show posts from particular channels. This is going to be a fantastic addition for those who have accounts from multiple regions, too, since their news feeds tend to get clogged up to the point of being unusable. We still think it should be better integrated into the eShop, but hey, it’s a start.
The play activity bug has also been fixed.
The update is available to download now, and you can read the full update notes below.
Improvements Included in Version 5.0.0 (Distributed 03/12/2018)
Added the following system functionality
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
- To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
- You must be 13 or older to use this feature
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page