• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

karnophage

karnophage

Goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
Just got back from watching Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace 3D (what a mouthful).

Same old thing, but in 3D. Actually pretty good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
I watched the trailer for it on the 3DS, thought it wasn't made that well for small-screen 3D. Would greatly benefit from big-screen 3D where things pop out at you.

I saw Hugo 2D on the weekend. Surpassed my expectations of being a kids' movie and was actually a great adventure-style movie incorporating the history of film and how it affected many people in pre and post-war Europe.

2 hours long too! Well worth my money.
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
Saw The Hunger Games last night.

Pretty weird. Set in post apocalyptic future, but the poor live in coal mining villages akin to the 19th century, while the rich live in futuristic cities and wear ridiculous clothes that look like they're from some sort of French aristocrat Mardi-Gras. If that wasn't alienating enough, they didn't really explain the motive behind the actual Hunger Games very well. As for the action, it was pretty good, though there was a lot of cutting away from the bloodshed, I suppose that's because they're all kiddies.

Probably better for those who have read the book.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts
wow, I can't believe I sat through the whole film of Meatballs III: Summer Job (1986), and to see such a young Patrick Dempsey is funny ;D, considering I've been watching grey's anatomy.

Edited by playa271, 08 April 2012 - 01:08 AM.

NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
The Hunger Games
I haven't read the book but the idea behind it is excellent. Something about it was very Harry Potter-esque, which I like; perhaps it was the costuming and just the overall outlandishness of it. The ending didn't feel quite wrapped up, but I suppose that's to be forgiven given that the film would be the first in a trilogy. 4/5.

they didn't really explain the motive behind the actual Hunger Games very well.
Probably better for those who have read the book.

This.

Battleship
Errrm, lots of explosions…way too drawn out for what felt like a small scale combat. Rihanna's performance was nothing to write home about. Had it been titled something else, I maaaybe would not have guessed it was related to the game. Was hoping for someone to say "you sunk my battleship" but was disappointed. *fart noise*/5.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
The Avengers. What an action packed movie that turned out to be. Awesome.

For people familiar with their Marvel comics:

Spoiler

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Takora

Takora

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

The Avengers. What an action packed movie that turned out to be. Awesome.

For people familiar with their Marvel comics:

Spoiler

Spoiler

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
I just saw American Reunion. While I was not expecting much, it made me laugh quite a bit. The humour hasn't particularly grown up though so I can't imagine anyone really enjoying it if they didn't enjoy the original ones that much. Still, a fun movie, but to be honest probably could've waited till DVD.

I've got Avengers, Prometheus and Dark Shadows to see now on my list. I think I will try to prioritise Avengers and Prometheus since I absolutely have to see them in [3D?] IMAX before their season ends. At least I have time to wait for Prometheus.
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
I saw The Avengers last week, was impressed. It was a comic-character movie none-the-less so expected all the cliche lines and action. I saw it in 2D and personally, glad I didn't spend the extra on 3D. I enjoyed the overall story and although haven't seen Capt. America movie or the recent Hulk movie, I managed to follow the story pretty darn well since it doesn't really require much background.

Phantom...
Spoiler

Posted Image

Takora

Takora

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I saw The Avengers last week, was impressed. It was a comic-character movie none-the-less so expected all the cliche lines and action. I saw it in 2D and personally, glad I didn't spend the extra on 3D. I enjoyed the overall story and although haven't seen Capt. America movie or the recent Hulk movie, I managed to follow the story pretty darn well since it doesn't really require much background.

Phantom...

Spoiler

Captain America spoilers
Spoiler

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I think Takora did get it right, I brought up the Wikipedia page of the character Takora mentioned and it looked very similar to the one in the movie. Not that I know who it is regardless, nor do I know who that other one is that you mentioned.

To be completely honest, I've watched NONE of the Marvel movies which precede The Avengers. I got a friend to give me a plot crash course so I wasn't lost. She seemed to think it was necessary. I thought the movie did a good job of explaining stuff but that might be cause I could instantly recall stuff that she'd said to me.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
I just googled it too and it matches the lines that are said by the evil dude. Something about death... (cliche but yeah). Haven't seen Capt. America so didn't know what happened to Red Skull... but yeah... It's a pity that nothing was mentioned prior in other movies... like some of the weird reflections in the end of others, more bad guys coming out of the woodwork... there's plenty of them to be had. Just waiting on Spiderman to make a cameo... even though he wasn't really involved to such a great extent.
Posted Image

Takora

Takora

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
The only real links came from Captain America (the Tesseract) and Thor (Loki). If I'm remembering right nothing serious carried over from the Iron Man movies or the Hulk movie.

Unfortunately from what I can gather good ol' Spidey won't be popping up in any of the other Marvel movies any time soon. Sony has the rights to Spidey movies at the moment, so any deal would have to do through them. Same situation with the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Ghost Rider and Daredevil.

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
If you follow the Marvel trends, it's such a shame, there were so many team-ups between different characters. Spidey was with nearly every single character as were the X-Men and singularly, Wolverine. Infact, you could probably mix all the characters in a hat, pull out two of them and they'd probably be found together in a Marvel comic somewhere either fighting one another or some other baddie.

I sort of figured out the Tesseract was a Capt. America thing, it explains it a bit in the movie, and Loki, well, they play that out pretty well, but the evil guy who directs Loki to Earth... the alien people, they aren't the same ice people from Thor are they?
Posted Image

Takora

Takora

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I sort of figured out the Tesseract was a Capt. America thing, it explains it a bit in the movie, and Loki, well, they play that out pretty well, but the evil guy who directs Loki to Earth... the alien people, they aren't the same ice people from Thor are they?

They are not. The dudes in the Avengers are the Chitauri (based off the Skrulls IIRC), and the guys in Thor were Frost Giants.

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
I recently purchased The Illusionist on DVD, and re-watched that. I think the main character needed a little more depth, as he just seemed a tad wooden when he wasn't being performing his illusionist gig. Funny that was released in the same year as The Prestige which I am a big fan of. Funny, because bother are mysteries that focus on magic in a similar era, and thought The Illusionist has its twists, it wraps up soundly, and isn't full of non-linear narratives like Nolan's Prestige.

Also watched My Left Foot on DVD. It's a film about the life of a guy with cerebral palsy growing up in a very large catholic family in Ireland. One of those movies that held my attention without pause. Great acting by all of the cast too.

I went and saw Ted a couple of weeks ago. A lot funnier than I was expecting. I expected fairly crude humour like 'Frat Pack' films, and although this was pretty crude in places, the whole teddy-bear gag and Mark Wahlberg offered enough difference. Some of the 80's jokes, I'll admit, were a little over my head, but also helped set the film apart a little, and opening it up to a slightly older audience was probably a smart idea.

Finally, I've just got back from seeing The Dark Knight Rises, which was a fitting end to the trilogy, even if it felt more like Batman Begins than TDK. It's a cool movie, but I wanted just a little more from it. If I can say so without being one of those annoying audience folk that feel a sense of entitlement. :P
Spoiler

Edited by benanen, 23 July 2012 - 05:59 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

OrionPax

OrionPax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
Saw the Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney) movie yesterday. Overall, it's funny, satirical and thought-provoking with a slight tendency to go over the top- better than most video game movies. But a little part of me is disappointed because the characterisation is not as well done as the game and the plot was off at times. Don't get me wrong, the plot was excellent, just don't expect it to follow the game's to a T. Then again, those slight annoyances are common to all movie adaptations of video games (and books) due to the audience's unrealistically high preconceived expectations.
Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Just watched Toy Story 3 for the first time.

:'|

I'm not crying.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
Oh you. It's like Pixar have shares in the TEAR MILKING MARKET with TS3.

Catflap and I watched Aliens. Set so. many. cliches. for games and films to come. So many. I'd only watched it once before, so it was a joy hearing all of the classic lines. And after having watched Alien the previous weekend, it's interesting to see the change in quality. A great film to be sure, but obviously moulded by more mainstream forces than the original. Or something. The pacing is a bit naff. Still, great great film. And now we're pumped for Natural Selection 2!

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

karnophage

karnophage

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
Went and saw Breaking Dawn P2. Thank f*ck that shit's over.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Hopefully you're in somebody's good books now though?

Posted Image

Posted Image

karnophage

karnophage

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
Well you'd think I'd get laid for that, but no.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted Image
Posted Image

OrionPax

OrionPax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
JUST watched the Avengers. I'm not even kidding...

Time to catch up with Toy Story 3 and Hunger Games lol.
Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Hopefully you're in somebody's good books now though?

This... so totally this... I did the same this weekend just gone... satisfied... hardly. More happy that the local JB is right next to the cinema and I got me a Star Wars Blu-Ray set for around $71... WOO HOO!!!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users