Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):Catfiish
  • PSN Name:NinjaCatfish
  • Xbox Gamertag:NinjaxCatfish
  • Steam ID:ninjacatfish
Jumped back into Mass Effect 3 after a little hiatus thanks to Diablo. It's sucked my riiiiiiight back in. God the shit that happens, so well done.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
2012_Discussion_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostHelpful_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostPolite_NinjaCatfish.gif
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,852 posts
92% complete so far on Ghost Recon 3DS. I'm up to the last mission, and 3 side missions left, which I would believe should make the game 100% completed.
NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts

Picked up Apollo Justice recently for cheap and played through the first chapter. What a highly enjoyable affair this is turning out to be. Some ridiculous stuff happening in that first trial. Love the minimal voice acting. "Hold it!" and "Objection!" have such a punch to them.

So it has me interested to buy the other ones further down the line. From what I understand there are three games starring Pheonix Wright which take place previous to this one (the original, Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations). I could just download the crummy Wiiware release, but I think these are games I want to play on my handheld. Hopefully Nintendo announce DS games for download one day, although it'll be something else entirely if Capcom decide to place it on our eShop.

Thank god people are developing more and more taste as they go along and playing the ICONIC CLASSICS of this generation.

Can't see a digital release ever happening to be honest Phanty. You should just try to track down the original games. Also do not pass on Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth either. Amazing game with a KILLAH twist.
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Pfft, I've always had taste. Just because I liked New Super Mario Bros. and Wii Sports, doesn't mean I can't enjoy games like Ace Attorney as well. :D

Anyways, I played the demo for Miles Edgeworth when it was on the Nintendo Channel, James. That one was pretty cool and it was my first taste of games the Ace Attorney games (I know it plays a bit different). But yeah, I'm getting near the end of the second episode now (it keeps distracting me from exam study) and I'll tell you one thing, that saying "Innocent until proven guilty"? I've thrown it the f*ck out for this game, EVERYONE is a suspect! More like guilty until proven innocent, amirite?

Also without spoiling it, the last trial of Pheonix Wright, is that one played out in Trials and Tribulations? It's mentioned a fair bit in this one.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
Diablo 3.

Gotta say its not bad actually, having a lot of fun with it having never played the other 2.

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts

Pfft, I've always had taste. Just because I liked New Super Mario Bros. and Wii Sports, doesn't mean I can't enjoy games like Ace Attorney as well. :D

Anyways, I played the demo for Miles Edgeworth when it was on the Nintendo Channel, James. That one was pretty cool and it was my first taste of games the Ace Attorney games (I know it plays a bit different). But yeah, I'm getting near the end of the second episode now (it keeps distracting me from exam study) and I'll tell you one thing, that saying "Innocent until proven guilty"? I've thrown it the f*ck out for this game, EVERYONE is a suspect! More like guilty until proven innocent, amirite?

Also without spoiling it, the last trial of Pheonix Wright, is that one played out in Trials and Tribulations? It's mentioned a fair bit in this one.

Yeah, the series is based on the Japanese court system which isn't a jury system. From what I hear it apparently holds that adage "GUILTY until proven innocent" instead.

What do you mean about the last case? You mean the one in the first game? And, like, does it come back to in the third one?

Don't look at Wikipedia by the way, lots of UNMARKED and very UNEXPECTEDLY APPEARING spoilers. :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Well, this game keeps referencing Pheonix Wright's last case, some stuff about forged evidence and giving up his badge. I'm sure I'll find out as I play along, but I wonder if it's something that's played through in the Phenox Wright games or if it's just something that happens in the gap in between.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
I have lots of games on PC I love, and want to play, and finish. But on a work night, all I can usually be fecked with is a few ten minute rounds of The Last Stand in Dawn of War II. Such a great game mode it hurts. If they released a "full" version, with lots of DLC items, they'd HAVE ALL OF MY MONEY. Unlike IRL Games Workshop, which charge up the wazoo and get ALMOST NONE OF IT.

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
Just played through Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition.

Such a great little game. It has a very unique vibe, and I think that is what keeps it feeling fresh even today. The art style is just so clever too, it defies the graphical capabilities of its time.

Short and sweet, but well worth a buck on the App Store. It has been ported with care. Though this version doesn't have much music at all...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
Natural Selection 2 beta.

It's PC cross between RTS and FPS, where one player on each team is a commander who plays RTS style, and everyone plays FPS style!

It's a sweet, sweet blend of StarCraft and Alien vs Predator, in such a fittingly great cliched aliens vs marines setting.

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
All I'm reading is "not TF2 with Ninja and PG" :P

Erm, TF2 with Ninja......

Also played Half-Life before that. I'm near the end now, but I got frustrated because I'd keep forgetting to save before the hard part so I'd end up having to do a whole chunk of gameplay all over again. I'll come back to it some day.

Also I'm still chugging along in Apollo Justice.

Spoiler

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
Mass Effect 3.

Not enough people appreciate this component of Mass Effect enough. The games are so fun and really engrossing, and the choice of classes and maps (further getting increased by FREE expansions) means everything stays fresh and new all the time.

It also means that the matches go by so quickly so it can be quite a time sink BUT IT'S SO GOOD

People who ignore it

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
Shadows of the Damned. Pretty enjoyable so far, even though the controls are perhaps a little too clunky at times. I like how it feels like RE4 thanks to Mikami, which I certainly have to problem with. This is my first Suda51 game, so I have high hopes. Might invest in NMH 1 and 2 at some point in the future if I like this well enough.

Mario Tennis Open. Gotta say, as basic as it is, it's pure Mario Tennis action. It sure is a shame that the game has no RPG story mode or such, but the game is still good. It's exciting when you get into a rhythm and plan your shots perfectly, so it's worth it for those times alone.

de Blob 2. Haven't played too far into it, but it's shaping up to be a decent platformer for what I bought it for. Shame about Blue Tongue though, I feel terrible for waiting ages to buy this at $9 pre-owned, and even that money doesn't go to the publisher. :(

And Rayman Origins. Such a bloody fun game, myself and my girlfriend are almost all the way through it. I've been saving it so that I could play it with her, and we've been putting time into it exclusively (i.e. no solo sessions from me). It's pretty solid platforming action, although the controls are a bit fidgety compared to my almost singularly Mario-based heritage. And the MUSIC, so catchy. Looking forward to Legends on Wii U.
Posted Image

Posted Image
3DS Friend Code: 3609 - 1057 - 9044
PC Specs: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz, 2 x MSi GTX 560 Ti in SLI, 8GB 1600MHz Vengeance.

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts

Mass Effect 3.

It also means that the matches go by so quickly so it can be quite a time sink BUT IT'S SO GOOD

This is so so so so very true. I intended to finish of ME3 one day, but I figured I might as well jump into multiplayer to see if it's worthwhile. I didn't finish ME3 that day, instead played ME3 multiplayer for just under 7 hours.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
Sick and bedridden today. It's not all bad though.
I've been going through Chrono Trigger for the first time, got it on DS. Looks gorgeous on the DSi XL. Really liking it, but I need to learn to pay better attention to everything that is said, I often miss directions as to where I should be going, and the game doesn't seem to give you any hints after the initial one.

Also got Megaman X Collection on PS2 yesterday, so have given that a go today in bed as well. Jumped into Megaman X3 to start with. It's the PSX version I remember from my childhood, with better music (IMO) and extra cut scenes. Have got all the items (including the Golden Armour) and defeated all the initial 8 bosses. Now going through Doppler's Lab.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
At Space Land in Kirby's Epic Yarn.

The yarn/circuitry visuals in Tube Town coupled with the techno mix of the theme music... An amazing vibe. Although Kirby transforms into a million things, I wasn't really expecting a vertically-scrolling SHMUP section.

This game is brilliant.

Posted Image

Posted Image

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts

This is so so so so very true. I intended to finish of ME3 one day, but I figured I might as well jump into multiplayer to see if it's worthwhile. I didn't finish ME3 that day, instead played ME3 multiplayer for just under 7 hours.

Posted Image

BASTION OF GOOD TASTE

Posted Image

Syndicate has begun taking up my time once again, as I kind of neglected it when Mass Effect came out as well as other games. It's developed by Starbreeze who developed the first Darkness game as well as the Riddick game. Both games are critically lauded for their perfectly crafted atmosphere and Syndicate is no different.

Its just such a fun shooter that isn't too conventional from today's standards and it's one of those "full body" first person games, where you legs and arms actually exist in the game world so you actually do feel like you're controlling the player character, and actual proper physics allow you to literally run and jump over gaps. In this regard it's very similar to Mirror's Edge in how it handles your movements.

BUT THE ENVIRONMENTS, OH GOD, THE ENVIRONMENTS. The game takes place in the future, featuring a very neo-noir almost Blade Runner esque look. It's so cool to go from a very crowded futuristic New York City, to a remote city floating in the middle of the carribean, to the dirty underbelly of an unnamed city. There's just so much variety and design and since the game looks so f*cking good everything just feels so authentic and the atmosphere is top notch. The story is well written, the characters themselves are incredibly well designed and the voice work from some famous faces are up to par.

It's a shame this didn't do well because it really is an amazing game overshadowed by it's ban and the fact it's not too faithful to the original. But it's great fun. I've included some images of the environments from Dead End Thrills, they are obviously from the PC version (and some have been touched up) but the design and such is still there. It's really such a great and underappreciated shooter that doesn't get enough credit amongst the flood of MILITARY DUDEBRO SHOOTERS that are filled with SCRIPTED EVENTS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Absolutely delicious.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
I've got enough on my plate to not want to go out and buy it right now, but damn it looks nice. If I see it for the right price I might just grab it.

Played some more Chrono Trigger last night. Kinda glad I chose to play it on DS rather than the SNES original. Battle menus are a hell of a lot easier to manipulate and understand when they're not a series of abbreviations and windows over windows.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Castlevania. Holy shit, what a game. Why can't they make stuff like this? And I'm talking the original Castlevania. One man, his whip and a castle full of monsters. Come at me. Unfortunately I've died at the end of Stage 9 twice now (third boss). But I love it because every time I play I feel that I'm improving. :)

Assassin's Creed. Started playing, and I can see where the appeal of this game lay. Sandbox-y sort of game and I enjoy saving all the citizens around the city and parkouring all over the roof tops. Speaking of saving the citizens, I've made a habit of low profile walking up to the soldiers assulting the citizen and just using the hidden blade to kill the soldier who tells you to move along. Then it's time to fight! Though, it's a little disconcerting that the soldiers don't really care that I'm going around killing a whole bunch of them. Though my brother tells me there's a notoriety system in the second. Ah, when sequels get what was wrong in the original. :)

Also finished Apollo Justice. James you might read this, considering the ending of the game, is there a second ending? I ask because of what you're presented with at at the end of the game:
Spoiler

Fun game, I'm glad I grabbed it for $9. It'll be a while before I consider replaying it though. Got 23 hours out of the first playthrough so that's pretty good.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
Phantom, if you choose a different verdict the something else happens.

Spoiler

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
Played some more Chrono Trigger yesterday., Have just beaten the first fight with Magus, feels good to keep at a JRPG, especially since this one has be actually interested in story/characters, unlike many recent JRPGs.

Also had an amazing round of TF2 tonight. Pretty sure Medic is and always was my calling in life. Topped the server with a buddy Heavy, 4 dominations at one point. Felt good.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
Ladies and gentlemen! In a bold move that only holidays would permit, benanen booted up Twilight Princess again.

He caught that f*cking fish good and proper. And then again, just to please that stupid cat! Here is his anguished celebration.
Posted Image

So, yeah, I'm 4.5 hours in, and I've got a slingshot and a wooden sword and the mayor's daughter stole my horsey. Such progress! /sarcasm

Edited by benanen, 25 June 2012 - 09:01 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Oh ben. :)

Finshed Assassin's Creed recently. I've got positive feelings after having played it, but there were a few off things about it. Like the final boss battle. Taking away all the health and letting him one shot you until you work out that you have to attack first is not challenging. I died a few times, but once you work it out it's easy. What happened to the days of attrition when fighting a final boss? I'm glad Mass Effect had that element in its final boss fight.

Also post-credits. I get having post-game content, but I thought there'd be some great revelation to be found after they sent me back into the game. A couple of emails and frustrating time wasting trying to work out what I could and couldn't do isn't what I had in mind.

Also I realised that I was playing the Director's Cut edition of the game, which made me realise that most people who played, played without Archer Assassination, Rooftop Race, Flag Race and one more type of quest that eludes me at the moment. So I'm absolutely shocked that this game was played by people without any of those quests. I figure the game would feel quite empty without them. I don't even count the flag collecting as a quest, like the figurine quest in Wind Waker, far too tedious to be worth anything.

I actually really enjoyed the combat though. Really made you feel like this guy who was better than everyone at fighting. Also, the non-linearity and getting to explore these historical places. I played it through, so that must mean I enjoyed it. :)

So after that great experience with number I was trying to decide whether to play Assassin's Creed 2 next or Mass Effect 2 and decided on the former. I've played an hour and I can tell already why Ezio Auditore is far more liked in what I've seen around the webs. They seem to be developing him as a character. From his rascal days to him becoming an assassin. Though is it bad that I can already predict what the plot is going to be? Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong, but my guess:

Ezio is bumming around doing chores and stuff.
A great betrayal occurs where Ezio's family is killed.
Ezio is blamed or something.
Ezio vows revenge on those who implicated him.
????
Assassin.

We shall see.

Oh yeah one more thing I forgot to mention. Though it's by no means the worst at it, just get me into Florence quicker. All this running about Obstergo, not my thing.

Edited by Phantom Ganon, 02 July 2012 - 07:34 AM.

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
After picking up VVVVVV using some leftover money on the App Store, I must say that the game was highly enjoyable, if terribly short-lived. Fantastic music, great use of the flip mechanic in various ways, and just the right amount of difficulty and forgiveness. Just finished collecting all the Shiny Trinkets as well; those who have played it will no doubt know which one I left until last. For $5, I really can't complain about getting a mere 3-4 hours enjoyment out of it… since they were a fantastic 3-4 hours.

Played some more Chrono Trigger last night. Kinda glad I chose to play it on DS rather than the SNES original. Battle menus are a hell of a lot easier to manipulate and understand when they're not a series of abbreviations and windows over windows…
...Played some more Chrono Trigger yesterday., Have just beaten the first fight with Magus, feels good to keep at a JRPG, especially since this one has be actually interested in story/characters, unlike many recent JRPGs.

I too first experienced Chrono Trigger on the DS a few years ago, and your sentiments mirror my own back when I was making my way through it. Modernising the game interface via the Touch Screen is a true godsend; it's simple, intuitive, and reasonably fast to navigate through in the thick of battle, although the tech list can get slightly unwieldy later on. Chrono Trigger is one of the few games where I have felt that the sheer amount of praise and fondness towards it is well deserved; for it to further stand the test of time (no pun intended) is a truly amazing feat. Here's hoping you enjoy the rest of the game. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
Started playing Blacklight Retribution today. I figured I'd start with the basic weapons before experimenting with different combinations too much. I would rather just learn the game before changing my loadout.

So it plays well, the graphics are very polished and the entire package feels well done. After a couple of hours play with Catfish, we both check out all our unlocks and gifts from Raptr after some clumsy navigation of the menus. Free weapons are nice... except they're not. Turns out the unlock prices are all for 1 day unlocks, i.e. 24 hours. To get 3-day, 7-day or permanent unlocks, the price is much higher. Basic unlocks like helmets or muzzlers require several hours of gameplay; my two hours earnt me half the required XP for a basic rifle with no upgrades or attachments. One shudders at the amount of time needed to unlock late-game weapons. :/ The only other option is buying a shitton of Zen, the in-game currency.

Well, back to TF2 I guess.
Posted Image

Posted Image
3DS Friend Code: 3609 - 1057 - 9044
PC Specs: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz, 2 x MSi GTX 560 Ti in SLI, 8GB 1600MHz Vengeance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users