What have you just played?

• Please log in to reply
6093 replies to this topic

GoodOrEvil

GoodOrEvil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Location:Adelaide Street, Australia (The Red House On The Left)
SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL!

Versus the CPU. My, the fun times we had! Like the 4-way sudden death, or the time I killed two in one hit in the last 5 seconds, catapulting me from 4th to 1st...

I tell you, who needs friends?
3DS Friend Code: 1650-1811-1744

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts

Convinced Robbo to have a session of Resi5 mercs with me. Seriously the best thing to come out the Resi series, we finally got an A on the first level, with a sixty combo that netted us 50,000 points all at once. Needless to say I was frantic with jubilation. Then we got our "sh!t packed in" to quote BF3, seconds before a good finish on the Caves level. If only Robbo loved it as much as me, could play it all day :P

A RANK?

SS RANK IS WHERE IT'S AT

Posted Image
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
Downloaded that Mole Kart game on iOS, just for the lulz, and because it was free. Blatant plagiarism of Mario Kart Wii in track designs, but it plays horribly.

Also just finished Shadowgun and it's excellent free DLC pack 'The Leftover'. That game is a real achievement for the platform.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Just as an aside, I know I finished Mass Effect a while ago now, but how amazing is the credits music?

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
Resident Evil 4 HD.

I've been tempted by it since it came out, but $30 felt like too much to pay for a game that I do like, but already own on GC and might not have the energy to get through again. However, with the purchase of my new Bravia I figured it was worth it to enjoy the sumptuous HD/widescreen visuals.

I'm quite impressed with how well it's translated; textures are obviously quite blurry at times, but models are sharp and well-detailed. It feels like a current-gen release, which is an achievement in and of itself. I'm also enjoying a lot more of the game's mechanics because I've been able to put aside grievances with the control scheme and call them quirks.

Definitely worth the purchase. I've just defeated El Gigante, need to take care of the big cheese now, I believe.
Posted Image

Posted Image
3DS Friend Code: 3609 - 1057 - 9044
PC Specs: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz, 2 x MSi GTX 560 Ti in SLI, 8GB 1600MHz Vengeance.

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts

Just as an aside, I know I finished Mass Effect a while ago now, but how amazing is the credits music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc

It is pretty amazing, yes. Mass Effect's score is one of the best ones I've heard in a video game for a long time. I love the way every track captures this kind of Space Opera-esque atmosphere within every beat. It's definitely in my Top 10 soundtracks ever. I absolutely hate where they took Mass Effect 2 though, I felt a lot of the charm was lost :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,464 posts
Too much Resi5 mercs with Robbo. Also James you'll be happy to know we shook our fists at the screen when we checked out your leaderboards.

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc

I can't remember hearing that, I guess I was in awe of how it ended perhaps. But yes great song.

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Too much Resi5 mercs with Robbo. Also James you'll be happy to know we shook our fists at the screen when we checked out your leaderboards.

Fun fact: I forgot I had RE5 Gold. Meaning there's a whole other 8 characters to use in Mercs Reunion, with stages housing a greater variety of enemy types and increased difficulty.

WANT IN?
Posted Image

Posted Image
PC Specs: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz, 2 x MSi GTX 560 Ti in SLI, 8GB 1600MHz Vengeance.

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
Yesterday was a day off work...

Multiplayer Minecraft.... all 7-8 hours of it.... so hypnotic.... and the scenery when things aren't being griefed... amazing!!!

I know I've played it too much though, since I'm thinking of the world in blocks and what tools I'll need... oh dear...
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,433 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):Catfiish
  • PSN Name:NinjaCatfish
  • Xbox Gamertag:NinjaxCatfish
  • Steam ID:ninjacatfish
That Mass Effect credit tune is so great.

I started playing Metal Gear Solid on my PSP. Doing Hard difficulty so I have no radar. Have never played radar-less, so it's an experience. Changes the game quite a lot.
Will hopefully prepare me for MGS3. First time I played it I didn't like it initially thanks to the lack of a reliable radar, I depended on it way too much. Hoping I'll be much better prepared this time!
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
2012_Discussion_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostHelpful_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostPolite_NinjaCatfish.gif
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts

Fun fact: I forgot I had RE5 Gold. Meaning there's a whole other 8 characters to use in Mercs Reunion, with stages housing a greater variety of enemy types and increased difficulty.

WANT IN?

THANKS TO ME
Posted Image
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,464 posts
Finally installed the 3gb POOP Oblivion mod pack correctly, so now I'm giving Oblivion a bash with much improved graphics, atmosphere and a whole host of tweaks. I only ever sort of put in about 20 hours originally, so here's hoping I get a good long play through. Just been rambling around Imperial City and the sewers, man Bethesda are cool yet their dialogue sucks.

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

Supah Ted

Supah Ted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
resi 4 hd( god so annpying control schemes, wish they would have updated them).

back to final fantasy 13 to get gamerscore.

sf3 online.
Posted Image

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,433 posts
I too have been playing RE4 in HD, but not the half-arsed version Capcom put on the Marketplace.
I bought the PC version of RE4 years ago, thinking it would be the definitive version. Better than GameCube graphics, but with all the content of the PS2 version (this is before the Wii Edition).
It turned out to be a shitty port.

Watching Robbo play RE4HD at mine this weekend had me look into mods for RE4 to see if people had made RE4 on PC playable. They have.
I am now running RE4 on PC, at 1920x1080 resolution, with all GameCube textures or better, a new higher polygon model of Leon, better lighting effects that more closesly resemble the GC game (PS2 version's lighting was different to the GC, some of the lighting they did on the GC couldn't be replicated easily on PS2, and they went with the PS2 version when they up-res'd it for the Marketplace release).
Also running with full anti-aliasing and Anisotropic filtering.
The game looks gorgeous in motion.
Here are some screens I took to deomstrate...
Spoiler

Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
Riiiiiiiiiidge Raaceeeeeerrrrr.

Hoping to tackle a number of titles in my retro backlog before I (a) play my Wii games and (b) return to uni. I nearly finished this one before and still had the save file, but decided to start a new one :rolleyes:. Aaah, 360 degree drifting…so true to life!

Was also playing Donkey Kong 64 not too long ago.

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
Had a miniLAN at Catfish's, as we've been doing regularly now. I bring my PC and trestle over, and we play some TF2 and co-op stuff.

TF2 was fun as always, did fairly well as Soldier and it's great yelling insults and carrying on next to my mate.

We played some LotR: War in the North like we've been meaning to for a few weeks now, which is getting close to the end. Giant eagles are fun to watch attack fell beasts.

Bulletstorm was great fun in Anarchy Mode. Basically, there are waves of attackers and it's up to you and a few mates to kill as many grunts as you can,. in the most gruesome manner possible. Great fun.

We also rocked some BlazBlue, definitely going to get back into Continuum Shift now that Catfish is also picking it up and has bought a new XBL Gold.

Finally, Mercenaries Reunion and 3D was good fun, even if feels like a step back from the smooth controls of Revelations. Ah well.

And today, we had a few matches of UMvC3 and TF2. Good times as always.

All in all, a good weekend for gaming :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,464 posts
So much more oblivion, started a new game as Lord Poison, Dark Hand of Death class. Summoning stuff and using some hurt magic on the side works well.

Dungeon crawls are just incredible with the realistic lighting mod/anti-level-scaling mod, and the loot is fantastic. I can't recall what the loot was like in Vanilla, but getting to the heart of an underground dungeon, taking out a scary dude then finding a couple of enchanted items is great and so classic RPG. I mean, a couple of rings that grant permanent shield and chameleon bonuses, nice! Sad that playing my rogue character made it real difficult, might have to start him over and look into getting a sidekick or something.

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
What is the gameplay like for the Elder Scroll games? Is it particularly slow, stop/start sorta thing? Or is it more like a open world adventure style, plenty of free action and no real incentive to continue on your path until you're all outta side quests?

It seems to be a rather interesting game I wouldn't mind getting into. I do need to re-start FarCry though, the original that is.
Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

What is the gameplay like for the Elder Scroll games? Is it particularly slow, stop/start sorta thing? Or is it more like a open world adventure style, plenty of free action and no real incentive to continue on your path until you're all outta side quests?

It seems to be a rather interesting game I wouldn't mind getting into. I do need to re-start FarCry though, the original that is.

I haven't played much Elder Scrolls myself, but it seems to be very much the latter. I'm waiting for the GOTY edition before I consider Skyrim.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

I haven't played much Elder Scrolls myself, but it seems to be very much the latter. I'm waiting for the GOTY edition before I consider Skyrim.

+1. Skyrim is fantastic, and IMO better than Oblivion as you have much more freedom as opposed to be being constrained to a specific class in Oblivion.

Also it has dragons. Who doesn't like dragons ;D

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,464 posts

Wait really? I thought EVERYONE knew Oblivion/Skyrim as "that famous accessible open world first person action/RPG game where you can do sidequests galore and ignore the main story"

Well that's what it is. The huge world and open endedness can sort of leave you directionless at the start, but I've found that with all the mods I'm runing and the tweaked difficulty, the first "main story encounter" (which is the first incursion into DEMON LAND) becomes fraught with peril and required me to go away and do lots of other stuff to become powerful. This is opposed to Vanilla, where I recall the enemies were more or less your cup of tea, so your first incursion into DEMON LAND was a more "regular dungeon crawl" instead of "ZOMFG, DEMONS!"

Edited by PlasmaDavid, 06 February 2012 - 07:27 PM.

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

The huge world and open endedness can sort of leave you directionless at the start, but I've found that with all the mods I'm runing and the tweaked difficulty, the first "main story encounter" (which is the first incursion into DEMON LAND) becomes fraught with peril and required me to go away and do lots of other stuff to become powerful. This is opposed to Vanilla, where I recall the enemies were more or less your cup of tea, so your first incursion into DEMON LAND was a more "regular dungeon crawl" instead of "ZOMFG, DEMONS!"

I'm rather confused as to what you said there, but from what I read, it sounds rather Diablo of you. "Hit peak level for area, ROFL over keyboard at baddies. Modded game to be harder."

I do like a good RPG style game where increases in power give you plenty of options and access to harder areas, along with great customisation. This is where WoW has started to drop for me. I can't do the things to get said increases in power (read gear) so I get a swearing slamming from other players.
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,464 posts

I'm rather confused as to what you said there, but from what I read, it sounds rather Diablo of you. "Hit peak level for area, ROFL over keyboard at baddies. Modded game to be harder."

I do like a good RPG style game where increases in power give you plenty of options and access to harder areas, along with great customisation. This is where WoW has started to drop for me. I can't do the things to get said increases in power (read gear) so I get a swearing slamming from other players.

Vanilla Oblivion only had enemies appear that were similar to your level. Even if you went off and found THE DEATH CULT TEMPLE OF SNAKE BLOOD it would have scaled, ie manageable, enemies. (I think)

Part of this mod compilation makes it a "proper" RPG, whereby you run into monsters of all "natural" levels through the game. Which can make it quite difficult, since it's a free roaming game. So unlike say Diablo II, where as you progress through areas your level no doubt increases as you go, in Oblivion you can just make your way to any location and run into BIG BAD THINGS, without perhaps realising they're as strong as they are.

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,433 posts
Things were an appropriate level relative to yours. So you'd go to a normal dungeon, and enemies would be manageable. Go to a uber crazy dungeon, and things would be uber high leveled compared to you.
This way, even if you've grinded for hours, you'll go into a regular dungeon and enemies will be as hard as they would have been had you not spent an hour grinding. You'll never get to the point where you can grind enough for everything to become easy, since everything levels along with you. You will go into a dungeon that is meant to be hard, and it will be hard even if you've gone around and done every other side quest and reached level billion.
I think it's a decent idea, sucks in some games where you'll do all the extra quests, and then the final areas are a pushover.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users