• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
Discuss everything we talked about in the podcast here! From games played to your most fond Nintendo 64 memories!

Let us know :)
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):Catfiish
  • PSN Name:NinjaCatfish
  • Xbox Gamertag:NinjaxCatfish
  • Steam ID:ninjacatfish
This podcast as usual might prove bad for my wallet.
James talking about Project Zero 2 Wii Edition makes me really want to give it a try. I have this funny feeling it would be perfect on the Wii, the low res-ness of it would add to the creepy atmosphere...
Can't say any of the other games played sounded all that interesting. Pokemon Conquest sounds... I dunno, like i should just play FF Tactics that I already own instead of buying another strategy RPG.

On the N64 memories, someone talked about Beetle Adventure Racing. I never played it, but I did play a different version that was at my local video store.
DEM HOLDENS

I only had an N64 for a very short time. When I was going to get a new console for Christmas, the staff at Hi Tech World convinced my parents that a PlayStation was better than an N64. At the time I was kinda pissed off about that :P
I did manage to play most of the N64 greats though one way or another, either hot seating with friends or in the short time that I owned an N64 myself. I bought it late in it's life, then sold it soon after for GameCube game money.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
2012_Discussion_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostHelpful_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostPolite_NinjaCatfish.gif
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
Excellent podcastage, as always! :) Shame about the crappy titles on the 3DS. You'd think the 3D stuff might help to deter crappy developers, but I guess they go with consoles that sell. James has also got me even keener to try out Project Zero as well... Really enjoyed the music on this episode too.

Speaking of music, you should mention the tracks played in the news story that accompanies each new Podcast.

Also, it might be neat to do a special vidya gaem musik episode, since music usually gets mentioned at least once an episode. Maybe people could compile their own a mixtape on the forum or something, and you guys can discuss the community's favourites or something.

- - -

My first memory of he 64 was watching four older kids playing Mario Kart 64. The track was Yoshi's Valley, and it seemed like it was bit of an ego battle to prove who was the best versed in traversing those maze like canyons. As a younger kid, and as a member of the actual party, rather than the older siblings gathering, I didn't get to play, but the memory has stuck with me.

I didn't actually get my own 64 until fairly late, maybe late 90's-00's. The purchase was organised by family friends in Perth (I lived in Carnarvon at the time), and to my later-indignation, I found out that the 10 or so games it came with were pillaged by that family's kids: Swapped out for their unwanted titles. I definitely remember that Mischief Makers, which looked very exciting, was one game I lost. However I have had retrospective revenge; another of the games taken was Superman 64. ;D

I also played 007: The World is Not Enough before I bought it myself. This was basically my 'Goldeneye experience', and even though I played GE too, I always favoured TWINE. Having AI bots was a godsend for a me as a mostly single, occasionally two, player-gamer. I also think it is a better game generally. The graphics are a step up, and I think the Expansion Pak enhanced it, but I'm not sure since I never got one.

Posted Image

Anyway my console is a blue (with yellow underside) Pokemon one (not the miss-shapen Pikachu one), with a matching controller and an additional green one. I spent many an hour with great games like Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Kart, and the above Adventuuure Racing, along with titles that I later inherited (one benefit of being 'late to the party' with gaming) including Smash Bros., and even later, OoT and SM64, not to mention Rumble and Controller Paks. The only titles I recall actually buying were bought were Mario Tennis and TWINE. I remember renting Diddy Kong Racing (Mario Kart, but with PLANES OMFGYES) and Banjo-Tooie which intend to buy as they are both amazing. I also owned F-Zero X and WipeOut 64, and I always thought these two were the same, but different, with WipeOut incorporating items 'like Mario Kart.' I suppose this was my first experience of gaming genres.

I think the 64 will always be my favourite console. I still love the aesthetics of the thing. Nothing will ever have those curves again, judging by the way the Wii is more akin to a NES etcetera. The controller is a pretty strange piece of kit, but I've always found it comfortable, and again, I don't know if that three-pronged design will ever be used again. As Hope said in the podcast, it would be cool if we could simply plug in more [stuff like] RAM into various slots. Although the DD add-on was never really fully realised, I'm still a fan of the modular approach, as it seems a direct contrast to the incremental upgrading that companies encourage in this current era.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Thanks to being back at uni, I've been able to listen to the last two podcasts during my daily commute. So, yeah back in to the swing of it now.

Main thing I want to talk about is the price Vook predicted for the Wii U. I don't think it's farfetched at all. Iwata has constantly said he wants a reasonably priced Wii U, so that the same mistake as the 3DS is not made. The 3DS was $250US and $350AUD and 6 years ago, the Wii was $250US and $400 AUD. If the Wii U is $250-$300US (considering that Nintendo have wisely not gone the power route but the controller might cost a bit, then I think we're looking at another $400AUD console here. $450 AUD max IMO.

With a pack-in or without, I'm not quite sure yet, though pack-ins can add value to the console making people more likely to buy. I imagine they'll go with Nintendo Land as a pack-in which is fine, since I hear the game is a lot of fun in local multiplayer. If they really wanted to give the Wii U a kickstart, they could bundle NSMBU in and watch the consoles fly off the shelves. But I think the selling power of NSMBU will deter them from packing it in, it will sell consoles without being bundled in with it. I hope if they are throwing in Nintendo Land that they bundle in a Wii Remote Plus as well. That would allow devs to use the Wii Remote for their game if they so choose and I don't think the Wii Remote should be done yet anyway.

Also as an aside, I've watched some episodes of Spartacus on GO and Lacy Lawless has still got "it". One of my first TV crushes, she had an amazing "it", if you know what I mean. </mrbeanmeme>
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

With a pack-in or without, I'm not quite sure yet, though pack-ins can add value to the console making people more likely to buy. I imagine they'll go with Nintendo Land as a pack-in which is fine, since I hear the game is a lot of fun in local multiplayer. If they really wanted to give the Wii U a kickstart, they could bundle NSMBU in and watch the consoles fly off the shelves. But I think the selling power of NSMBU will deter them from packing it in, it will sell consoles without being bundled in with it. I hope if they are throwing in Nintendo Land that they bundle in a Wii Remote Plus as well. That would allow devs to use the Wii Remote for their game if they so choose and I don't think the Wii Remote should be done yet anyway.

I think they will probably introduce a NSMBU pack at some point, but probably later, like they've done with Mario Kart for the Wii. It would offer a nice little booster later down the track I think.

I also think they will be forced to bundle a WiiMote if they are serious about developers continuing to use it. And to also make buyers aware that they can actually use they're old ones and save a bit of dosh.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
The biggest problem herein is the way Nintendo have presented the console, however. Every single trailer focuses on the tablet.

The dumb, broad, general consumer public assumes the tablet is an add-on for your Wii. Especially with the name and Nintendo's track record for revising hardware.

Including a WiiRemote with the package might exacerbate that problem.

I think they need to focus on the BOX and let people know what it's all about.
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Thats not what Nintendo of today are about though. The box is just the thing that lets you play the game, its all about the experience etc etc. I dont think throwing a Wii Remote into the box will cause confusion as it'll likely get about as much exposure as the box did in 2011.

As for the Wii add-on thing: You work in retail, right James? Do you get questions about the Wii U? I imagine it'd all be very minimal until September when they start touring and announcing date and price. But since the unveiling of the Pro Pad, I dont think Nintendo intend to sell tablets separately. So I guess that helps.

Extension to this post: I was at JB HiFi today, and they had some Wii U promo boxes on shelves. The actual Wii U promo box was a picture of both the Pad and the console itself, so maybe a directive from Nintendo to have both on any advertising? On a related note, games they were advertising were NSMBU (at the top of course), Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, ZombiU and Scribblenauts. On a less related note, they've got some NSMB2 stuff towards the front of the store.

Edited by Phantom Ganon, 31 July 2012 - 03:22 PM.

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Jabjabs

Jabjabs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
It was thanks to this episode that I decided to pull out the old n64 for a bit of a run and re-live some of the classics that I have in my collection rather than just going through the Wii versions or just reminiscing of the 'good old days'. So I pulled out the machine and everything I needed for a night of fun and hyper awesomeness and plugged it in, it was at this point that I learnt of three disappointing things and it has more to do with people that the machine.

You see I used to keep this thing and a whole variety of other consoles out for others to use in the share house I used to be in so it got a fair amount of use for a while and things where good. But then eventually as everything does its use slowed and stopped completely because the fine folk of the house found newer things to distract themselves with, namely minecraft. What I didn't know was that someone there had been lurking to make a few switches for their own collection and I'm not happy at all at this twist.

First discovery, someone has taken off with my controllers. I should have noticed this when moving but in the mad rush of the move it was basically placed under the 'don't worry they will turn up, category. Oh how wrong I was those things along with my copy of Mario Galaxy 2 have disappeared into the abyss. So as these things go there is the inevitable in the form of a trip to eBay to get some new third party controllers as originals are near impossible to find without a dog having chewed on it with a lawn mower. After receiving the good I proceeded to continue with my adventure until problem no 2 arose.

No 2 is that someone again had pinched something important to the operation of my box of super happy fun joy. So the expansion pack making the entire systems blink is a VERY important part and also in big demand for people who never had them and that's where mine went to the greedy hands of a mystery thief. As I didn't have a spare jumper pack to at least run the average game I had to wonder back to eBay again to grab a knock of expansion pack. This arrived in brisk time making it 'time to prrray!'. Firstly I though "hmmm, Zelda should be the first to get a run through" since I had decided against the others after about a a weeks wait.

So I grabbed my copy of Zelda and tried to put it in the system but to no avail. Every other cart fit but this one was special and wasn't working for some reason, maybe it was physically broken or my n64 was broke but alas I couldn't see anything wrong.

Mind you it is a very odd moment when I suddenly realised what had happened as it made no sense at all, it only leaves one question on my mind. Why has someone bloody swapped my Ocarina of time with the US version which is totally useless to me. :s

After all of this I still can't get a video signal out of the thing and I'm sure it's gone to computer limbo along with all my iPods, sub $10 toasters and every VCR on the planet. On the up side if anybody here wants a free copy of Ocarina of time US it's free to anybody that wants it :D

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):Catfiish
  • PSN Name:NinjaCatfish
  • Xbox Gamertag:NinjaxCatfish
  • Steam ID:ninjacatfish
My word, it seems the universe simply does not want you to play your N64!
I can't stand when stuff goes missing. As careful as I am with my stuff, it still happens to me somehow, my copy of Uncharted 2 just went missing, and I still didn't find it after cleaning the entire house for moving out :(

Have you managed to successfully play ANY games?
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
2012_Discussion_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostHelpful_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostPolite_NinjaCatfish.gif
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

Jabjabs

Jabjabs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
Nope the n64 is out of commission until I can comfortable rehabilitate it back into the working life. Im not really upset just more puzzled, its really funny when you think about it. Other than that it's been Sonic colours on the Wii and Uncharted 3 on ps3, both are restoring my faith in gaming very nicely :)

Mind you I am looking forward to firing up Body harvest when it's possible again. It most definetly has aged very poorly but I still respect it for what it brought to the genre.

Now I just need to track down Bomberman 64 and my nostalgia trip is set :D again terrible by today's standards (and even the 90's) but I loved it.

On a side note relative to the episode, Winback was awesome and most people are better off trying to track down the ps2 remake. It was an early ps2 title but it's still easier to track down than the n64 version. Also that game was totally awesome in everyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users