I'm gonna call it

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

woofy

woofy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
Just for some random reason it popped back into my head, but why did Nintendo bother making the 3DS XL when they biggest gripes with the current system was its gargantuan proportions. It seems like far to easy a target to do, ie the battery life is an issue so just make a bigger one that you can fit a bigger battery in. I really wonder if it was another prototype they ended up just releasing and calling it the XL.

Seriously how much better would it have been if they made a lite version with better battery life? Obviously they couldn't so went the cheap and easy route. I'll cut them some slack as they are launching the Wii U later this year, but then again it's coming much later than prior years as well.

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Well the XL model was a successful model for them with the DSi. I guess they want to tap in that market (which is great), but they havn't established the software lineup for that market yet which means its sales are not going to be as big as they want them to be. It might gain tracktion from those who wanted a new revision and decide why not. Only issues really with it is how ugly it is, but those screens look amazing and make me super jelly.

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):Catfiish
  • PSN Name:NinjaCatfish
  • Xbox Gamertag:NinjaxCatfish
  • Steam ID:ninjacatfish
The launch model was uncomfortable as it is, any smaller and hand cramps would get even worse IMO.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
2012_Discussion_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostHelpful_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostPolite_NinjaCatfish.gif
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
How would you make a 3DS Lite tho?? I dont get the whole "Lite" thing people seem to want. From I've read, the 3DS has a lot more tech packed inside it compared to the DS/DSi.
The XL actually didn't surprise me - what surprised me is that they brought it out so early. I was expecting it next year.
I'm actually looking forward to the XL as I think it will probably more comfortable for me to hold. I tend to get cramped hands (had it bad with KI)
Posted Image

Nintendo 3DS: 0903-2758-0800

Miiverse: diaglyph

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
-- Hogfather, Terry Pratchett

woofy

woofy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
I found teh DS Phat was uncomfortable until the DS lite came out, I have the hand cramps with the 3DS so would expect smaller would help, not bigger.

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
For me I got them most of the time with the DS I think because of how it was designed. I get sore with the 3DS but at least I don't get huge red marks.

pchan

pchan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
It's the "fattness" (depth) that makes it more playable for me. Bring on the CPP (which solved all of my woes of pain) - yup, that device that won't fit on the XL.

A "pro" edition which can potentially be thinner but made of some aluminium compound ala MacBooks with the second CP would be my cup of tea.
Anyone remember that feeling of holding the gameboy Pocket? Shmexy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jabjabs

Jabjabs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
I'm actually looking forward to the XL personally. Maybe it's because I have hands the size of boiled hams or just the fact that I haven't owned a 3DS yet but I see this as nothing but a good thing.

I didn't have a gripe with the original model but a larger screen was always going to be welcomed in this area, great for bringing on the motion sickness quicker :)

Yes it does seem a little too early to be pushing this new model but to be fair Nintendo are currently trying everything they can to get the momentum up for this product line. This could be the final push required to get sales up to where it's healthy for them.

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I still don't understand everyone's (I mean the internet in general) obsession with the CPP. I've heard having the 2nd stick on the Vita doesn't make the games any better to play on there, so I don't think it'll do anything here.

But anyways, I've read a comment from Nintendo saying they won't be making a loss, but the profit margin will be much narrower.
I'm now looking forward to the XL - now to decide which colour: Red or Silver LOL
Posted Image

It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Jabjabs

Jabjabs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
Yeah I'm not a fan of the second circle pad aswell, it's a nice idea but really just becomes a crutch for developers in some cases. The occasional game will need it but the vast majority do not.

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
A smart developer will know how to best program the controls.
I'm glad they didn't do a CPP thing built into the XL, as others have said it would fragment the market. So far, very few games actually fully utilise it.

Now I just wish we didn't have to wait until the end of August LOL
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users