• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

LordZod

LordZod

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,591 posts
Source: http://www.smh.com.a...0516-1yrcb.html

A FORMER student who is suing Geelong Grammar School says she decided to seek damages after she failed to qualify for her preferred university course.
Rose Ashton-Weir, 18, alleges Geelong Grammar gave her inadequate academic support, particularly in maths.

Seeking compensation in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, she said her final secondary school score was too low to study law at the University of Sydney.

Of her time at Geelong Grammar, she said: ''I didn't ever feel I was getting the support I needed to really excel.''

Ms Ashton-Weir boarded at the school in 2008 and 2009 but finished her secondary studies at a TAFE college in Sydney. She is in the first year of a double degree in arts and sciences at the University of Sydney.

Her mother, Elizabeth Weir, is also suing the school for lost income and other expenses.
She said she gave up her chocolate fortune cookie business - which she had expected to make $450,000 over three years - because her daughter moved from Geelong to live with her in New South Wales.

She is also seeking compensation for $39,000 in rent paid when they moved to another house in Sydney.
Earlier this week, Ms Weir said the school had known her daughter was gifted and had scored highly in an intelligence test, but struggled in maths.

Yesterday, Ms Ashton-Weir told the tribunal a teacher at Geelong Grammar had criticised her for using words that were too long, which had left her confused and had made her doubt her ability to write essays. She became ''quite distressed'' when her English marks began to fall.

Darren Ferrari, representing Geelong Grammar, said Ms Ashton-Weir could have studied law at several other universities. ''You could have done law at Deakin University by correspondence,'' he said.

He said Ms Ashton-Weir had been placed on ''internal suspension'' a number of times while at the school. She was also poorly organised and had been absent from class many times.

Ms Ashton-Weir fell ill with glandular fever in early 2009 and went to stay with her mother at the end of term two. She did not return to Geelong Grammar.

Mr Ferrari said the school had tried to support Ms Ashton-Weir. ''The school wanted her to get through the year.''

He said Ms Ashton-Weir's school reports noted she was intelligent but failed to complete school work.
The hearing will resume in August.

Wow, certainly sets a dangerous precedent... thoughts?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Vooks NRL Tipping 2007/2009/2010 Champion
Vooks AFL Dream Team 2007 Minor Premier
Vooks AFL Tipping 2011 Champion
Vooks Wrestling PPV Tipping 2007/2008 Champion

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Oh jesus christ no. If this gets through it really opens up a huge can of worms for schools :/
Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Yeah I can't see this getting through at all. If it does, have fun with lawsuits from every which direction. The law practice would certainly boom.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
Teachers are only half of the equation. If a student/parent sees a place where they are falling lower than expected, it is up to them to also seek adequate support. My youngest sister had learning difficulties. Not ADD, not dislexia, not anything, just a little slow. My parents spoke to her teachers, her teachers spoke to my parents. Together they came up with a plan. She left school early but has worked ever since, holds a number of qualifications and licences and is rather successful.

This will be scrutinised within a legal hearing. If they didn't seek their teachers' help whilst at a boarding school, then they are too stupid to be there in the first place...
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

karnophage

karnophage

Goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
If the school sucked, why not just take a year off and go for mature age entry? Why bother with all this lawsuit crap?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
Karno, you bring up a good point... Maybe she's not really aiming for a legal righteous parade or whatever, but maybe she wants to win to show the uni "Hey, look, I managed to school my old school so I deserve to get into your Law degree program"...

Interesting. Then again, a certain line comes to mind;

"Don't bring yourself down to beat an idiot at their own game, they will win with experience, and you will be another idiot."
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
She could've applied to other Universities seeking the same qualification(although I know nothing about the preferred University she was after, I'm guessing it was a fancy University when compared to others).

Seems stupid to sue the school, she hardly has a case IMO.

OrionPax

OrionPax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
"A good craftsman never blames his tools"

Seriously, she has no one to blame but herself. Plus, uni offers much less support than high school; what makes her think that she can survive in law?
Posted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
How can we all be so insensitive... Her mother gave up a chocolate fortune cookie business that was going to make $450,000 over three years ;D
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
I don't think this had must relevance once at the age of 18 and actively trying to get into university. She's really just got herself to blame, or perhaps her parents too, depending on what their attitude to education was/is like.

But when (as at my old high school) someone could drop science at grade eight, and then in grade 11/12, decide they quite like it but are devastated that they just aren't able to. Mind you, this is a place where people got through high school without learning the basics of an essay or what "division" is, so probably not comparable to Geelong Grammar.

Edited by benanen, 17 May 2012 - 07:28 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

LordZod

LordZod

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,591 posts
It also tarnishes the name of Geelong Grammar, and while I don't have the most extensive knowledge of Victoria's schools/their history, it seems like a pretty decent school. I'd be so embarrassed if I was her as well - the public have been fairly unforgiving, and rightfully so IMO.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Vooks NRL Tipping 2007/2009/2010 Champion
Vooks AFL Dream Team 2007 Minor Premier
Vooks AFL Tipping 2011 Champion
Vooks Wrestling PPV Tipping 2007/2008 Champion

ENKC

ENKC

Really Rockin' Dude

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts
She was going for University of Sydney, which I'm told required a 99.7% mark for her to get. I'm not sure she had any other options for getting in.
"Countless waves around me; strong until the last
Leaning into dimming dreams; all that was has passed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users