Photo

The decision - New Super Mario Brothers 2

digital distribution retail mario

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Preliminary Poll (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How will you be purchasing NSMB2?

1. Retail - I like boxes (16 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Digital - I love the fact that I don't need a cartridge to play (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Both - I LOVE YOU NINTENDO (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. Whichever is cheaper (4 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
So with the reveal at today's Investors Conference that NSMB2 would be available both at retail and as a digital download, a can of worms has been opened!

I'm quite conflicted as it stands. I've thought a few times that the next handheld after the 3DS wouldn't use cartridges at all and would simply use digital distribution the whole way and that would be a great incentive since you don't have to carry cartridges if you want to play something else.

On the other hand, I have a nice library of 3DS game cases now, and I would like to add to it.

I think as it stands I might be slightly leaning towards using the digital distribution to buy rare games that get limited releases but people like.

What say you?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,852 posts
old school for the most part, so boxed for me.
NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
It's disgusting that it exists. It pushes solid titles which are already further back and floods the market which already has 4+ Mario 3DS games in its first year.

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
A game like Animal Crossing I'd be happy to have as download, because that will see months of continual play. Size comes into play too, those big capacity SDHC cards aren't cheap and as I found out with my $20 16gb card, you get what you pay for in terms of reliability too.

So, I like the idea but for me a game like Mario I'd prefer on a cart, but AC or Pokemon, hell yes to digital distribution.
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Animal Crossing I've already preordered retail, so unless it suddenly becomes DD only I wont get it DD.

micho

micho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

It's disgusting that it exists. It pushes solid titles which are already further back and floods the market which already has 4+ Mario 3DS games in its first year.

100% completely agree with this.
While I do acknowledge that Mario games sell, the over saturation of Mario 3DS games on the market, and Nintendo's decision to release four Mario 3DS games in the space of just one year is a little concerning, especially because it could set a precedent where Nintendo decide to flood the market with Mario games if hardware sales stall.

...not sure if that made any sense, but that's my two cents.
3ds FC: 0430-8476-8886
Name: Eugene

Currently Playing: Cave Story 3D, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Mario Kart 7, Dead or Alive: Dimensions

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Whoa whoa, are we including Kart and Tennis in these Mario games or am I missing something?

As far as my platforming tastes go, I see one 2D Mario game and one 3D Mario game.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

DrW@dsy

DrW@dsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
Of course it exists. It's a Nintendo console, and Nintendo are (currently) losing money on every system sold. Therefore they need to make their money back via software sales, so obviously they will use their flagship character to do so. And as PG said, it's only 2 Mario platformers. Counting Kart and Tennis is pretty unfair, and if your gonna do that you may as well count the Olympic games ones etc.

OP was asking about attitudes to DD games, and I'll get this DD if only to show Ninty that it's a viable option (same as I check 'Download of trial version' on every games I register on Club Nintendo that had one). I'm hoping that smaller titles, which can't get a large physical distribution, can see more sales via DD so that publishers will bring more titles to AUS and EUR regions(I'm looking at you, Virtues Last Reward)
3DS Friend Code

Name - DrWadsy
FC - 2707-1622-5489

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Personally, I am quite hesitant to make any significant digital purchases on Nintendo's platforms for several reasons. Firstly, the continued association of download purchases to hardware and not a centralised account is a massive source of inconvenience and frustration should the hardware happen to fall over. Given that my 3DS has already had its fair share of hardware issues as it is, I'm not willing to risk a significant investment in the digital realm. Secondly, given that it will be the retailers setting the price for digital download copies, as well as Iwata envisioning little difference in the price between physical and retail copies (Although Iwata does contradict himself in the Investor Briefing on this), losing the ability to sell/trade in unwanted retail games via a digital copy would not be a worthwhile tradeoff. Thus, I'll be sticking to retail copies for the foreseeable future... although whether I'll be picking up NSMB 2 in particular all comes down to the quality of the final product.

With that said, I can definitely recognise the benefits of a digital copy. Being able to carry around a multitude of retail quality games on an SD Card is very much akin to the convenience of DS Flashcards, plus you never have to worry about losing the game itself unlike a physical copy (something that's happened to me MORE than enough times). What's great about Nintendo's approach here is that they are catering to both types of consumers by selling both retail and download copies at the same time. Involving retailers with the digital system so they can still "sell" software well into the future also comes off as a smart move, so props to them for that.

It's a shame one can't get the best of both worlds by purchasing a physical retail copy and gaining access to a digital download as well; this is going by what I have read thus far, so if the reality is different, someone please correct me on this. With that said, I understand there are numerous complexities behind such a scenario, so it's unfair of me to expect such an offering, but one can dream, right?

Edited by Toadsiliwraith, 28 April 2012 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Whoa whoa, are we including Kart and Tennis in these Mario games or am I missing something?

As far as my platforming tastes go, I see one 2D Mario game and one 3D Mario game.

It might be unfair to link them all together. But they are still the Mario brand, it is still cashing in on said brand, and it is still overstuation in the first year of said brand without other brands really present at all on the retail shelves.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

It might be unfair to link them all together. But they are still the Mario brand, it is still cashing in on said brand, and it is still overstuation in the first year of said brand without other brands really present at all on the retail shelves.

I think the fact that they had to announce their first yearly loss in three decades has sort of pushed them into projects that are going to do the best thing for their bottom line. A 2D Mario is one of the best they've got in that sense and it wouldn't surprise me to see a Wii U 2D Mario coming as well (though I hope they do something a bit different with the look of that one).

But we should stop derailing, topic is about how digital distribution will affect purchasing habits.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
I'm okay with a little over-saturation, as long as they take their sweet time with SSB3DS.

I think its a little risky making this option available part way into the console's life. Whereas the WiiU will launch with the dual digital download and retail abilities. I just think Nintendo might set themselves up with for a few teething problems is all, but I guess they need to make the jump at some point. There is also a danger of alienating/discouraging indie developers, who will now have to compete with the juggernaut of Mario in the online space.

And the prices need to be somewhat cheaper, otherwise they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

Lutomes

Lutomes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I'll only get boxed retail until Nintendo switches to an account based system instead of per console. If ive got a cary or disc I know that in 10 years time I can just buy a 2nd hand console to replace mine if it dies.

My Snes still works, Ive had to combine 2 n64 to make a working one, both gamecube till work (though gather dust from the wii backwards compatability), and one of my wii is dead - taking all the wii ware / virtual console games with it.
It's not my imaginary friends that are a problem, it's the imaginary enemies.

Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
An account based system is much more appealing, and hopefully Nintendo make such a move soon. The problem with digital copies, as pointed out, is that it takes up significant room on the SD cards.

I've chosen the 'buy whichever is cheaper option', though in reality, I'd only purchase the digital copy if it was significantly cheaper. Considering that a digital copy involves no need for packaging or distribution, it better be cheaper.

It might also sway my opinion if they offer digital downloads earlier than the release of the proper version.

Edited by Ain Soph Aur, 03 May 2012 - 01:58 PM.

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Nintendo have to be mindful to keep retailers onside though (which they have been mentioning). They can't go too cheap with digital or they risk falling out with them.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Doesn't bother me - as long as digital is cheaper!!
I don't think retail boxes will go away either!
I just don't believe Iwata's view that people will have a perception that a game has less value because it has a lower price when offered as digital - I think people would expect a lower price because it is digital!
I don't believe digital should be priced same as a retail box - mainly because you are not getting a box or cartridge or cover art or any bonuses. Unless they start offering a digital code inside a box at the shops.
Also - game prices need to come down in Australia before I start buying locally more often. I still import most stuff.

My other thought on digital: if it becomes an easier way for publishers to release a game into a region that they wouldn't release a retail box into, then that's good (for example, similar to how Unchained Blades will be a digital download in the US). If it means we'll have access to more games that wouldn't get released into our region otherwise, I'm all for it.
Posted Image

Nintendo 3DS: 0903-2758-0800

Miiverse: diaglyph

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
-- Hogfather, Terry Pratchett

YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
I don't know, because I want to have games boxed, and save SD Card storage, but at the other hand, I want to have games as soon as possible.

Digital = Having a game ASAP (not through Play-Asia, or something like that).
Retail = Collecting games.

I have some PS Vita games digitally, and some retail.
I only have the feeling of actually having the game, which I have retail.

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I understand the feeling of having the physical item. I feel the same way when it comes to music. If I buy an album on itunes, it just doesn't feel the same as if I got the actual CD (its like there's something missing).
But like I said before: I don't think retail boxes will disappear completely (unless the whole retail sector collapses and dies), and I also still don't believe a digital version should be about the same price as a retail box - it should be less.
Posted Image

It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
Well, Nintendo did say, the prices will be the same.
The reasons are unknown, probably to avoid the same boycot, as Sony had with the PSP Go.
http://www.nonly.nl/...ijk_aan_winkel/
The source is in Dutch, but the quote from Nintendo, is in English.

cmpa1970

cmpa1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i'm buying all my games retail boxed. i'm keeping my downloads for e-shop. even my 32gb sd card will fill pretty quickly if i go digital for everything.
3DS STREETPASS ROCKS! 5327-0991-4929
Wii U ID! cmpa1970

Fergster

Fergster

• Members
  • 14 posts
Anyone know where download codes will be purchasable from – preferably online? Pricing? I’m keen to get this as a digital download, but I’m guessing the eShop price will be full retail, or may even follow Europe and be more than the retail price. Hoping to find a bargain download code so I can get this day one!

NNID: Fergster

3DS Friend Code: 0731-4870-5542

HUGE Nintendo fan. Owned nearly every home & handheld console since the SNES. Currently: Wii U & 3DS.
Donkey Kong Country was my first gaming love, but many other favourites including (but by no means limited to): All Zelda games, Mario - 2D & 3D platformers and Kart, Resident Evil, Metroid, Rayman and many others.
Would have to say my favourite genre is the good old 2D Platformer.

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
From what I've been reading about digital pricing looks like it will very likely be at full RRP :(
Rip off - as digital I would be expecting at least $5-$10 off the RRP for being a download.
If retail games are always going to be full RRP in the eShop then I'm not buying - not worth it. Plus it means the game is permanently attached to that 3DS. You can't give the game to anyone else etc

Also I'm sure eShop codes will probably be region locked. I don't think we'd be able to get eShop codes from the UK. They'd have to be Aussie codes (this is my guess!).
Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I'm not sure they can sell it at anything other than full price. I'm guessing they don't want to see a situation where retailers refuse to stock the retail copies of the game becasue Nintendo's eShop is undercutting them. Retailers are the biggest part of Nintendo's product distribution, they cannot piss them off. While it would be nice for the game to be cheaper, since you're not paying for factory/packing costs, it's a tough spot to be in.

But just because I understand Nintendo's position, doesn't mean I'm going to pay extra for it. I'll buy retail as I was planning.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
It just feels like the whole thing is pointless, the digital versions.
Posted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
I'll buy Animal Crossing 3DS digitally as that will free up the cartridge slot (AC will get daily use for ages). tomorrows game I'll be buying the cart as it'll get used on both 3ds systems we have in the household.
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: digital, distribution, retail, mario

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users