AFL Discussion, Tipping and Dream Team 2012

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,341 posts

I didn't see much of Shane in his prime. His final years were ruined by injury. But he has won a premiership and a Brownlow medal. Do media contributions also factor in to HOF induction?

I guess they do. I'm probably being a bit unfair, he was obviously very good for hawthorn when they were having their time in the wilderness... and seeing what PG has just put up.. crikey.

ok, well deserved then.
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Wathing the Footy Show just now, I see that Glenn Archer has also been inducted. They probably have an equal set of accomplishments when put into context. Archer has a Norm Smith and two premierships to his name along with being three time All-Australian.

Also a list of Shane's achievements on Wikipedia:

• Hawthorn Premiership Player 2008
  • Hawthorn Team of the Century (emergency)
  • AFL Rising Star nominee 1993
  • Brownlow Medal 1999
  • AFLPA Most Valuable Player award 1999
  • NSW/Allies State of Origin representative
  • Alex Jesaulenko Medal 1998
  • Leigh Matthews Trophy 1999
  • All-Australian 1996, 1998, 1999, 2002
  • International Rules Series 1998, 1999, 2002 (Captain)
  • Best and Fairest 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003
  • Captain 1999–2004
  • Best Hawthorn Clubman 2005
  • Ansett Cup 1999 Premiership side
Did not know he was a memeber of their Team of the Century (though only as an emergency) and four time All Australian. Even without the media stuff, I think that should be enough for Hall of Fame induction.

Fair enough. I didn't know about half of that stuff either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Was at the football last night, though my team wasn't playing. Dragged along by friends who had a more vested interest, we ended up sitting in nosebleed territory and we were lucky to get seats there, there was a very small allocation to general admission seating. Which isn't too annoying considering who's playing, but then you look over the the MCC stand and see over half of Level 4 empty there, and yeah, it's pretty f*cking annoying.

I did see this though:

Terrible by Wellingham, should get weeks.

At least Carlton showed up and gave me a game to watch so I'm grateful for that. And I was trying to stay neutral thoughout. :)
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
Went and saw West Coast play North in Hobart.

Great game, I was so glad that we came back to win, beating the opposition as well as Quentin Lynch, and despite general inaccuracy. The defence looked very sluggish in the first half, and really seemed to miss Waters who was a late withdrawal. Big Cox really saved the game for us in Q4, just seemed to be teleporting to making contests. Priddis was also a gun (DT too), and Kerr seemed quieter in his 200th, but also racked up a the possessions. Today I also remembered that we currently have Nicoski, Kennedy, LeCras and Embley out. So we've done well to keep up our form.

After the match, Rosa, Priddis, NicNat and Darling came around to the supporters on the boundary, so that gave us a buzz. ;D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
So Geelong are a pretty cool guy, they win all the games and doesn't afraid of anything.

That's the best I could find so soon after the game. Amazing match. GOTY.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
Here's the last 2 minutes from AFL's youtube:

Amazing, amazing comeback by Hawks, and the last 10 minutes were absolutely crazy. Hawkins was on fire last night; that kick was never missing. This year has been so topsy-turvy, I have no idea who will take the premiership.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Very good game in the Dream Team Zoddy! I've hit form at the right time though and I still have trades up my sleeve.

So I guess the Vooks representatives in the Dream Team finals are myself, LordZod, benanen and Lucrei. Good luck boys, do the forums proud!

Also had a look at the 2007 AFL thread earlier for some nostalgia, it's cute how we used to think the 1500-1800 scores we got back then were high standard. I'd certainly be unhappy with that now. But I've been playing for 6 years now, and it's become a lot easier to research which rookies are going to play (the bulk of you cash making).

We used to be way more into it back then too, the trash talk was great. But a lot of the people who engaged in the trash talk aren't around anymore. Ah well, strive to get better at DT guys, you too can show massive improvement like myself and Zoddy!
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

LordZod

LordZod

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
I'm gone in the DT Finals :(

Ah well... Ahhhh! Tipping ladder is hidden! Hopefully I'm chasing you down ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Vooks NRL Tipping 2007/2009/2010 Champion
Vooks AFL Dream Team 2007 Minor Premier
Vooks AFL Tipping 2011 Champion
Vooks Wrestling PPV Tipping 2007/2008 Champion

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Dream Team/Tipping double for me! You guys will have to up your game next year. :P

Though apparently I specified Finals Tipping as well because I don't know why. Well a few of you can still catch me if that's the case.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Lucrei

Lucrei

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
Injuries in the finals crippled me in Dream Team.

Had a pretty good H&A season though.

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
I'm slowly improving in DT. I am pretty honest about my performance, and I genuinely think I was unlucky, especially in my IRL-friends-main-league. I usually end the year by making a little list of unique picks for next season, so I'm ready. Next year I will be a force! :P

I missed a couple of weeks in the tipping, so not sure where I placed. Though I won a little local family/neighbours tipping competition, so I'm awaiting that cash. ;D

I the IRL footy world, this season has been amazing. I think the final round draw between Richmond and Port really summed up how even and unpredictable this season has been. Can't wait for the finals series, and I'd love to see WCE and Freo do well. Actually, I might as well root for all the interstate teams since I have a soft spot for Sydney too. But every team has exciting players, so the finals should be epic! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,341 posts
Agreed with excitement of the finals, it's probably been the most uninteresting season that I can ever recall... too many crud home and away games but now it's just the 8.. bring it on.

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Would've been much more fun to discuss the week if fibals that just passed but some shocking news today. Port Adelaide player John McCarthy died after an accident at Vegas. Thoughts go out to his family, friends and teammates. It really put a dampener on my day.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
Yeah that really sucks. :( Hope the details of it don't reflect too negatively on the other players/club.

I was annoyed by the people starting the facebook pages before it was even confirmed. :/

Posted Image

Posted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,341 posts
buckley gets so pissed off animated in the coaches box, it's fantastic

pokémons!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

WithTheDawn

WithTheDawn

Dictator Perpetuus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,653 posts
Go...Swans?

vfa_topic.jpg
The Greatest Topic Vooks Has Ever Seen - RMT Mark 1!
Co-Creator of Shawn co.: Moderately Amusing Vooks Since 2006 ----- Creator of "Plan B"

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Bandwagoner. :P

Well done to them, hopefully they can take the fight to the Hawks.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

WithTheDawn

WithTheDawn

Dictator Perpetuus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,653 posts
Umm...Swans or Hawks. Shit, Hawks do kind of sound more vicious. Swans kind of just look good and float around on lakes, Hawks hunt and eat the shit out of mice and all. I know, my knowledge of this sport is astounding. I tend to give the grand final a bit of a look, guess I'll give this one a little more of a chance than normal.

vfa_topic.jpg
The Greatest Topic Vooks Has Ever Seen - RMT Mark 1!
Co-Creator of Shawn co.: Moderately Amusing Vooks Since 2006 ----- Creator of "Plan B"

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Posted Image

But more importantly.....

Spoiler

:P
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
Aye, twas a good Grand Final. Apart from a totally inebriated-by-half-time friend who missed his own team winning...

I was glad to see Sydney win. So many great stories in that team.

This thread may also have some legs this year, with the introduction of Free Agency and whatnot. I'm quite happy for West Coast to take Wellingham from the Pies at the expense of the lumbering Lynch! ;D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Oh yeah in the excitement of my last post, I forgot!

BrenDON Goddard. ;D

Regarding Wellingham, I've heard a first round draft pick being bandied about in return for him. I'm not sure that would be good value for the team that went that way. I would've thought maybe a pick upgrade or a second rounder might be more appropriate. That's just me though. And I guess West Coast will deal well with no Lynch. Forward line of something like:

LeCras - Kennedy - Cox/Naitanui
Hill - Darling - Nicoski

along with rotating midfielders and what not is still damn imposing. This is with LeCras and Nicoski getting back to their 2011 form after their serious injuries.

Edited by Phantom Ganon, 02 October 2012 - 04:43 PM.

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Oh yeah in the excitement of my last post, I forgot!

BrenDON Goddard. ;D

Regarding Wellingham, I've heard a first round draft pick being bandied about in return for him. I'm not sure that would be good value for the team that went that way. I would've thought maybe a pick upgrade or a second rounder might be more appropriate. That's just me though. And I guess West Coast will deal well with no Lynch. Forward line of something like:

LeCras - Kennedy - Cox/Naitanui
Hill - Darling - Nicoski

along with rotating midfielders and what not is still damn imposing. This is with LeCras and Nicoski getting back to their 2011 form after their serious injuries.

Yeah, I think we've still got the goods. After watching a few games live, it seems pretty apparent that we don't need Lynch. He floated in the half forward/centre area a lot, and he's not great at picking up the ball smoothly, and he takes a long time to decide where to handball. His only real plus was to be able to drill a couple from outside 50 every other week, but we've got Hurn to do that running from the back. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,341 posts
Firstly, go swans. Was a great honest grand final, was never a boring game and up until Malceski kicked that last goal... bloody tense.

And yes, bring on all this free agency movement. For years, draft week has been a real let down, great to see some real action before that kicks in (and now there have been some big movements, well, draft week could finally be a decent week of real trading between clubs).

pokémons!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Ganmaku

Ganmaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
T'was a magical Grand Final. I was on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time. And how about that result!!!!!!
z e l d a f l a v o u r e d z e b r a t o w e l d a n c e

LordZod

LordZod

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
Who won the tipping comp?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Vooks NRL Tipping 2007/2009/2010 Champion
Vooks AFL Dream Team 2007 Minor Premier
Vooks AFL Tipping 2011 Champion