Arcade cabinets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Supah Ted

Supah Ted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
So we are getting a extension with a good sized deck out the back. I've decided I'm finally gonna take the plunge and get a arcade cabinet. I don't know if I should go legit and buy a original one or make my own and install a mame setup. Doing it myself means I can have a good screen and whatever games I want but won't really look right as a original one would. Who knows maybe il have room for two. Also old ones are a f*cking pain to look after. Either way. I can't wait.

After looking around online, its retardedly expensive in aus. i guess i will be making my own.

does anybody have any experience with this?

The actual cabinet is no worries, i have the materials and tools at work to do that, but i need to know best bits of tech. like what sticks to use and things like that.

Gonna be a big project, but im excited.
Posted Image

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):Catfiish
  • PSN Name:NinjaCatfish
  • Xbox Gamertag:NinjaxCatfish
  • Steam ID:ninjacatfish
If it were me, I think I'd go for a MAME cabinet. An original single game cabinet would be neat for a while, but no game stays fun forever.
If you really wanted to go legit, there's NEO GEO cabinets that can be loaded with more than one ROM so you can use the same cabinet to play more than one game, but my understanding is that the ROMs are exceedingly expensive.
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
2012_Discussion_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostHelpful_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostPolite_NinjaCatfish.gif
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,702 posts
It would be a ton of fun to make your own, plus emulation would give you a bit of flexibility and variety.

The BenHeck blog might be useful. He usually has step-by-step pics if his DIY gaming machines, and I'm sure there's an arcade cabinet in there somewhere.

Edited by benanen, 22 January 2012 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
MAME for sure, for all the reasons Catfish mentioned. It sounds a great project, would you throw in an old school CRT for added 'authenticity'?
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
What 'fish said. I'd go a slim MAME cabinet, ie a flatscreen. Unless you do want all teh oldschoolnes.

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
There's a mob in WA that does restos on old arcades etc. My parents' neighbour got an old unit that wasn't working and managed to get it back together. I think he replaced the old board with a MAME one so he could have some variety, but they supply screens etc. Not sure of the name and I doubt I'd be in contact with my folks' neighbours anytime soon, but google search.

Rather than a cabinet, I'd rather make one of the old Frogger coffee tables (maybe not just Frogger, but you get my drift). Practical AND functional... or I'd get a Super Mario pinball machine... that shit is the bomb!
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

Supah Ted

Supah Ted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Because of ridiculous. Costings, I'm just gonna build my own mame cabinet.
Yes, a nice flatscreen. I don't really see the point in keeping it old school when it's not a authentic machine. Gonna start as soon as I get a minute. Will post progress.
Posted Image

morzag

morzag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
It might be a bit late to mention this, but if you're going to make your own control panel it's worth considering taking the extra time to throw in a trackball and spinner to get an authentic experience from the various games that used them. I often fantasise about making one myself, but I haven't the space to keep any such thing and am unsure whether I have the patience to pursue such a project to the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users