VOOKS Album Club

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Oh so now all week in my head, when my co-worker asks me something, I'm going to find it hard to not simply reply, ’Parklife'..

Hehehehe.... now you know how I felt, many years ago...

On listening to it again, it makes me want to listen to other albums of theirs. Youtube brought back some awesome hits... "This is a Low" and "Tender" come to mind. I really did love Blur now that I think about it. I hope others are enjoying it too!
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
Hmm, Parklife.

Wasn't really grabbing me after the first listen, but has grown on me a bit... Sometimes there doesn't seem to be much drive; songs just seem to cruise without building much, which is fine if that's the musical mood you're in. The title track is great, and I also enjoy 'Magic America,' 'Trouble in the Message Centre,' and 'Girls and Boys.' 'The Debt Collector 'sounds like something from the soundtrack of Banjo Kazooie... :P

They're really not giving a shit in the Brit Awards videos though. :P I watched a few songs from an '09 Hyde Park concert and they were a lot better.

Must say that the vocalist is very distinctive, so he's done well to 'become' Gorillaz's Murdoc. I mean, I've never heard anyone say anything like "he's the guy from Blur." In my opinion, he's better suited to Gorillaz style anyway. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
Pre-Easter catchup week I gather. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
haha yes. I am running so far behind on IRL tasks that although I've acquired.. not had a chance to listen to Blur yet.

A band I've always admired for their singles but not ever gotten through an entire album in one session.
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
Posted Image

Firewind - Days of Defiance (2010)

Genre(s): Melodic heavy metal

Overall, easy on the ears. There were moments where I could say people might resemble them to dragonforce, due to various power metal pieces as heard in track '5. The Departure.' However the first 2 tracks reminded me of Iron maiden. By far tracks; 8,9 and 12 were to my liking. Better yet the instrumental track '10. SKG (Instrumental)' was the icing on the cake for this album, easily got lost into it. great alternate pacing in beat/tempo, especially the drums. the only 2 tracks I had problems with were that track '13. When All is Said and Done' needed to grow on me, I personally felt it would be better off as an instrumental and hear it go off! The other track '11. Losing Faith' had good vocals but questioned the use of the English language. As for the bonus tracks; '14. Wild Rose' has an interesting change from the rest; 15. Ride to the Rainbow's End was really good; '16. Breaking the Law (Judas Priest cover)' I thought it sounded like a synth version at the intro ;D A lot of discerning fans question it, i.e "The singer in this band, can actually cover these vocals very well. Not nearly as good as Mr. Halford though. But then again, nothing is as good as Mr. Halford. Judas Priest for life." But i didnt mind it, especially when cross examining the original. I'd say it's quite good. I will surely give the a listen to the rest of the band's released albums.

Until next time Mr.ENKC, can't wait what you'll bring to the table.
NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
sorry.. had my life a bit hectic there for a week or two.. still is but WE NEED A NEW ALBUM

time to consult the logo

Spoiler

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

micho

micho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
OK, for my first contribution the Album Club I've decided to go with one of my favourite albums. I discovered this album when I was obsessed with shoegaze music two or three years ago, so without further ado I present...

Posted Image

Slowdive - Souvlaki (1993)
Genre: Shoegaze/Dream Pop/Ambient

Tracklist:

1. Alison
2. Machine Gun
3. 40 Days
4. Sing
5. Here She Comes
6. Souvlaki Space Station
7. When the Sun Hits
8. Altogether
9. Melon Yellow
10. Dagger

Slowdive were an English shoegaze band that formed in 1989. At the time of the album's release the band consisted of Neil Halstead (Guitar, Vocals), Rachel Goswell (Guitar, Vocals), Simon Scott (Drums), Christian Savill (Guitar) and Nick Chaplin (Bass).

In the early 90's Slowdive were part of the British shoegaze musical scene otherwise known as "the scene that celebrates itself". The band were initially championed by the fickle UK music press, however by the time "Souvlaki" was released the band found themselves savaged by critics after the sudden backlash against shoegaze and the rise in popularity of both Britpop and Grunge. However after the band's breakup many British music journalists softened their view on the band.

This is one of those albums that I feel I have to listen all the way through, also as expected the songs have a dream like/hazy feel which I really like. I also find it to be a very good album to just have on in the background while you're just sitting down or resting.

Here is the first and only single from the album "Alison"

...Unfortunately I don't know how to embed videos, but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me....
I think I got it working...

Edited by micho, 16 April 2012 - 10:14 AM.

3ds FC: 0430-8476-8886
Name: Eugene

Currently Playing: Cave Story 3D, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Mario Kart 7, Dead or Alive: Dimensions

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
OMG! In that video, there's a girl holding a rubber puppet thing that looks monsterish. It's called a Boglin and I used to have one! They were awesome! Rubber puppet with controls to move their eyes etc from inside. They came in a great carrybox too that looked like a cage.

Sorry, anyway, back to it.

If the album is anything like that clip, I can see why it's called "shoegaze"... but I think that's an unfair stereotype. Get this song played unplugged, give the people some acoustics, vocals a bit more of a hippy vibe and it would sound completely different, even if it's the same music and lyrics. I will listen to the rest to get a better opinion.
Posted Image

popolopolous

popolopolous

Vice Deputy Sub-Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
I'm slowly falling somewhat in love with this album. It's so... chill. Really like the male vocals. I rarely seem to make it far through without falling asleep... the mark of a good shoegaze-y album imo. Reminds me of Broken Social Scene's selftitled, except ten years earlier. Thanks for the introduction <3
I'm in space.
Celebrating six years on Vooks!

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
Can't wait to tap into this, a movement I admire a lot but a band I've never listened to. (and bloody well get to Blur - awkward couple of weeks)

Just want to comment though on Medrad's post earlier, it's true, there's some amazing musicians of the era that wrote amazing music that could quite easily be re-interpreted to open up and expose the core of a song. One of the things I really enjoy about introvert-rawk is the sense of journey and discovery that comes, especially through repeated plays. With so much going on, there are times you can just tune in on a different layer of sound to get a new perspective or some new hidden charm. I know with a lot of my bloody valentine's work (a peer of slowdive) there are times you can follow the bass to keep hold of where the song is.. or focus on the guitar and get blown away.

Really, really looking forward to this.

pokémons!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

micho

micho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Can't wait to tap into this, a movement I admire a lot but a band I've never listened to. (and bloody well get to Blur - awkward couple of weeks)

Just want to comment though on Medrad's post earlier, it's true, there's some amazing musicians of the era that wrote amazing music that could quite easily be re-interpreted to open up and expose the core of a song. One of the things I really enjoy about introvert-rawk is the sense of journey and discovery that comes, especially through repeated plays. With so much going on, there are times you can just tune in on a different layer of sound to get a new perspective or some new hidden charm. I know with a lot of my bloody valentine's work (a peer of slowdive) there are times you can follow the bass to keep hold of where the song is.. or focus on the guitar and get blown away.

Really, really looking forward to this.

Definitely understand what you're getting at especially with regards to My Bloody Valentine. I find that when listening to Loveless and to a lesser extent Isn't Anything and basically most shoegaze there are so many layers which reveal themselves after repeated listens like you described, and I find that because of this the albums become much more enjoyable as picking up the slight nuances and different layers is quite rewarding (I find).
3ds FC: 0430-8476-8886
Name: Eugene

Currently Playing: Cave Story 3D, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Mario Kart 7, Dead or Alive: Dimensions

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
OK with any luck I'll be moving house this weekend.. So won't be doing anything album club related this week except try and personally catchup myself!

pokémons!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Ninja Catfish

Ninja Catfish

Lifetime Moderator

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):Catfiish
  • PSN Name:NinjaCatfish
  • Xbox Gamertag:NinjaxCatfish
  • Steam ID:ninjacatfish
Just listening to Alison, it's bizarre. Just so... laid back, I kinda feel like I should be medicated to appreciate it :P
Podcaster & Contributor
icQSE5fgJ0ck8.jpg
2012_Discussion_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostHelpful_NinjaCatfish.gif
2012_MostPolite_NinjaCatfish.gif
[ Twitter | Last.fm ]

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
As the guy who offered up the Muse album, its fair to say that I like my music a tad more extroverted. However I am quite liking Slowdive! Something I haven't really listened to ever before, and the only familiarity I find is an occasional Radiohead vibe.

Souvlaki Space Station is a great track; I like a bit of warbling guitar. In fact, I really dig the middle of the album, from 40 Days through to When the Sun Hits. Some of the track, admittedly, make me think of depressing, rainy metropolitan evenings. The version I've been listening to also has some bonus tracks which were good too.

Edited by benanen, 24 April 2012 - 09:10 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

popolopolous

popolopolous

Vice Deputy Sub-Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
Nothing this week either? Naw.
I'm in space.
Celebrating six years on Vooks!

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Same here. Shit. It's definitely a startup sound for an OS or a program. Maybe a messenger client cause I'm sure I've heard it in movies.

OK this is going back to Violent J.. but I finally discovered the source of that distinctive jingle sound at the end of track one (yes, it's been bugging me that long). It's an animation production studio's credit jingle (not sure which one :/ but it's at the end of Jimmy Neutron DVDs).

We're back this week!!! Well I'm back and determined to kickstart back up, especially now when I can listen to music uninterrupted!

Will draw tonight (helps that I found the lego)

pokémons!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
time to draw, and this week we'll be relaunching with a bang.

Spoiler

pokémons!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

ENKC

ENKC

Really Rockin' Dude

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts
Hello everyone! Remember me? I used to be on these forums.

Anyway, I've been thoroughly hypocritical in exhorting others to commit to this thread, then disappearing myself. Alas, it's been some of the busiest few months of my life between work, study and family matters.

Nonetheless, I cannot pass up the opportunity to inflict upon Vookian ears another of my favourite records; knowing full well that it will not be to their existing tastes and may expand their horizons. Watch this space.
"Countless waves around me; strong until the last
Leaning into dimming dreams; all that was has passed"

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Hello everyone! Remember me? I used to be on these forums.

Anyway, I've been thoroughly hypocritical in exhorting others to commit to this thread, then disappearing myself. Alas, it's been some of the busiest few months of my life between work, study and family matters.

NK pls. you have legendary status - especially in the field of pushing musical discussion at VOOKS, i'm sure everyone involved in the thread is always stoked to see you around.. the light will always be on while this thread is running (and that applies to everyone, no need to apologise for AWOL or missing albums).

Can't wait to see what smokin platter you have in mind.

pokémons!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

ENKC

ENKC

Really Rockin' Dude

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts
Oh, and good to hear your thoughts on Firewind, playa. Extra brownie points for listening to the bonus tracks. Their new album is due out this month. Cover art is lame and new single didn't grab me, but I've yet to hear a weak album from them.

So here I am after getting home from work at 9pm on our busiest day of the year and in the mood for musical celebration. I find myself asking how far into the realms of bands heavier and more extreme than Firewind I can go without losing the Vookian audience. Shall I share a recent favourite, or hit them with something decidedly old school? Hmm, decisions...

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
My dilemma exactly (well, not quite the whole heavy thing), but when I choose, I look at my CD pile and randomly pick a disc, contemplate the validity (best of album, too commercial, too "mainstream", too old) and then after what seems like ages, decide to just chuck all that out the window and just stick one in.

We'll see what you bring forth ENKC, I'm sure it'll be well thought out.
Posted Image

ENKC

ENKC

Really Rockin' Dude

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts
I've seriously considered half a dozen albums here, and at the moment I'm feeling sufficiently bullish to give you something a little heavier. Apologies in advance if it's too hard on some of your ears.

Posted Image

Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos (2010)

Genre(s): Thrash metal

Tracklisting:
  • Intro
  • Dying Season
  • Control by Chaos
  • No Stone Unturned
  • Arrows of Agony
  • Fade Away
  • A Hero's Welcome
  • Undone
  • Bloodkult
  • Red Tears of Disgrace
  • Silent Nothingness
Background:

Comebacks are so common in metal that to not make one is almost newsworthy. Few however are quite as spectacular as this.

In the 1980s, Heathen were at the epicentre of the Southern Californian and especially San Francisco Bay Area thrash metal movement which launched Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth to international superstardom and gave the likes of Testament, Exodus and Forbidden a shot at decent careers. For others such as Dark Angel, Possessed and of course Heathen, it offered a glimpse of success before they faded into that special kind of obscurity where people call you highly influential, but it doesn't pay the bills.

The whys and wherefores are documented elsewhere, but it came to pass that after two minor thrash classics in 1987 and 1991, Heathen's third album finally saw release in 2010 (or very late 2009 in Japan, but I'm not counting that).

I'll break my self-imposed rule here and talk about the music. The Evolution of Chaos is a fitting title for an album that harkens back to the genre-defining records of the 80s whilst fully embracing the opportunities of crystal clear modern production techniques and their maturation as songwriters. It's more than a little reminiscent of Metallica's Ride the Lightning, but with a 21st century sound and more proficient musicianship.

The eleven minute epic "No Stone Unturned" starts out in the vein of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" before taking some surprising twists and turns. Indeed, for those hoping Metallica would return to their early glories (at which Death Magnetic was an admirable attempt), Heathen have matched and surpassed them here.

Oh, and they made one of the most hilariously awful low budget music videos ever.

Music video:

Dying Season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVLuHsPVHXI

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
Is this LIMITED TO THIS KIND OF MUSIC or are we PARTIAL TO SOME GOOD POP
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

karnophage

karnophage

Goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
Did you actually look back through the thread?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
12 pages? No. I'm a busy man. I guess I'll have to look back when I get the time rather than someone who's been following the thread telling me and being NICE.
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users