• 561 posts
http://www.gonintend...story&id=165091

2 new kart racers revealed :thumbsup:
Kinda surprising, but cool.

Can't wait for this one Posted Image
Posted Image

Nintendo 3DS: 0903-2758-0800

Miiverse: diaglyph

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
-- Hogfather, Terry Pratchett

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
http://www.gamesrada...th-old-and-new/

Interesting! A special "7" power up:
Posted Image
Posted Image

It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,480 posts
^ Looks sweet! I love MK when there's new/lots of items. I hope they have character exclusives!

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
I thought we had a MK7 thread?

Yeah the new powerup wheel thing looks pretty cool.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I'm more excited for the online features they're using here. While again, it's a shame it's disjointed, at least we'll be able to send invites to anyone who happesn to be online, to play some MK7. Also, I'll try to have a Vooks community up on Day 1 for Australian release.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

99 lives

99 lives

• Members
  • 14 posts
The first person view where you use the 3DS's gyroscope looks cool as well, but I with they still had bikes from Mario Kart Wii.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Everyone used bikes though because they were better than the karts in most cases. I hope the idea of having different routes through a race track means that we'll get a race where two different karts can essentially do the same time if we don't factor skill or luck into the equation.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Apparently a view of the community screen. Doesn't show much, but gives an idea.
Apparently a community will generate something like a friend code. Would've been better if it generated a QR Code!!!
http://www.gonintend...story&id=165225
Posted Image
Posted Image

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
The codes are XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Will not bother me at all if they're one time codes, which they surely will be.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I found out recently that Retro collaborated on Nintendo with course design. There's a hole in the roof above where my hype used to be.

Edited by Phantom Ganon, 14 November 2011 - 11:29 AM.

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
Posted Image
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Had a look at some videos today. Battle Mode returns to being Free For All, no more teams. And a lot of people will be happy to know that Balloon Battle is back to the way it was in SM64. Coin Runners (which I loved in MKWii) is also there, but again no more teams.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Had a look at some videos today. Battle Mode returns to being Free For All, no more teams. And a lot of people will be happy to know that Balloon Battle is back to the way it was in SM64. Coin Runners (which I loved in MKWii) is also there, but again no more teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

OK, I've used this reaction before, but it sums up how I feel to this news all too perfectly. Now all we need to hear is the Blue Shell being removed from Battle Mode and we are set for some awesome fights!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I just realised I said Battle Mode returns to the way it was in Super Mario 64. Obviously I meant Mario Kart 64. >.>

The Super Leaf item looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Maybe somewhat overpowered, but I imagine you'd be getting it from 3rd downwards as opposed to if you're leading the race. I wonder if you'll be able to deflect shells BACK at people using it. Oh my god, that would be glorious.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
That's it. I'm buying this at launch. DONE DEAL.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Some of the retro tracks they picked are great too. Some real favourites of mine that I've seen are that island beach level from MK64 (with the waterfall shortcut), the desert track from MK64 with the train, the cruise ship stage from Double Dash, Waluigi Pinball from DS.

Also Toad, with regards to the blue shell, it seemingly no longer flies. So maybe that means it's not in Battle Mode either?

Edit: Yep, no longer flies so it knocks over anyone in its path like back in the old games, but as it approaches the leader, it does the hover and smash thing, so it still makes the blast radius.

Edited by Phantom Ganon, 14 November 2011 - 07:50 PM.

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Yeah the retro tracks are good, a much more round and more interesting array of levels, as well as the best levels for the resent DS and Wii games.

The new tracks also look awesome, like the Paino one.

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Just caught up on some new details regarding this game; some of this may be old, but I'll add it to the discussion here anyway. Firstly, 1Up posted their preview of the game, which you can read for yourself, but one of the most interesting titbits of information is as follows:

Though it's encouraging to see Nintendo make baby steps towards a real online community, their efforts mostly act as a tease; instead of offering the chance to meticulously fine-tune a match a la Smash Bros., MK7 only provides opportunities to turn all items off, all items on, or to supply just one type of item during races. If you're looking to turn off the game-breaking Bullet Bills and blue shells, though, Nintendo's restrictions have made it clear that this is not in your best interests.

This is quite disappointing, to be honest. Whilst I am very glad that the Blue Shell how behaves like it did in Mario Kart 64 and can take out all opponents along the way to first, customisable races with friends would have made for some amazing races. I'm also a bit concerned that the item distribution system sounds akin to MKWii, but it was never an absolute deal breaker for me. Lets be thankful that annoying Thunder Cloud is gone…

On a more positive note, fans of the classic Super Mario Kart will be delighted to hear that SNES Rainbow Road will be included as a playable course in this iteration. At long last, everyone will finally be able to settle the score on one of the toughest tracks in the series. Here's hoping the Electric Thwomps are included. :D

Edited by Toadsiliwraith, 15 November 2011 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Man, I'm in general terrible at Rainbow Road. I remember when I jumped on MKWii online before having played the Special Cup in single player on one of the first days I had it. I almost had a 2 minute lap. :/

Turning all items off, will make it interesting if we run tournaments. I mean if we're being competitive, it's probably best to turn them off, but it's not really Mario Kart without the items is it?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Turning all items off, will make it interesting if we run tournaments. I mean if we're being competitive, it's probably best to turn them off, but it's not really Mario Kart without the items is it?

Even competitive Mario Kart plays with items on, as seen with both MKDS and MKWii, although the ability to turn items off wasn't available in both cases. As such, it will be interesting to see where the scene takes it. People managed just fine with items regardless; several team based strategies surrounding item use eventually developed and resulted in some amazing plays from just the small portion I've seen. Still, at least the option is there.

One thing I just realised is that since there are now only 8 players instead of 12, it may lighten up on the significant item abuse MKWii is notorious for. It might also mean the tracks are nowhere near as wide, which leaves the window open for some tighter races. I remain optimistic at this stage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
In regards to the online options apparently the same article mentions there where more options the reviewer couldn't look at?

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Maybe I should get this shirt when I get Mario Kart 3DS:
http://www.redbubble...000667-incoming
Posted Image

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Shame you can't flip it so the driver is on the proper side.

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
A more "neutral" version?
http://www.redbubble...000745-incoming
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users