Photo

The next Smash Bros.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: You must recover! (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Which system should it be on?

1. Voted The 3DS, the fight should be portable (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Project Cafe, the fight stays in the room (6 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
So with the 3DS out now and Project Cafe on the horizon (well the reveal at E3 is in any case) there's been some discussion about the next SMash Bros. around the interwebs. Some of it revolves around the next Smash Bros. being a 3DS affair.

Now, apart from the StreetPass opportunities this would offer, I'm of the opinion that Smash stays a home console series. I've got nothing against making home console series into portable games but half the fun in Smash is yelling at your friends as you beat them up/ as they beat you up. Also I'm hoping Cafe's online structures allows a much better online implementation inlcuding regional, friend list and worldwide leaderboards (maybe even group leaaderboards, a Vooks.Net leaderboard in the game would be awesome), playing item battles or no-item battles, picking 1 vs. 1 or free for all, the works even restricted voice chat if possible.

But what's your say on all this? Does Smash make its way to a portable console to be played on trains and buses all over the world? Or does it stay on the home console?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
I;m going with Cafe for similar reasons to you PG. A 3DS version would be nice though, just not one that replaces the home version.

Posted Image

I had that same problem, I ended up just button mashing till it worked

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
3DS. High time SSB was portable! I don't need another fanboyfest meeuseum piece (though SSBB was much less of one than SSBM) so I'll accept the gameplay and portability!

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
Probably both.

I think Nintendo would agree about the friends-in-the-room dynamic of Smash Bros. but they are trying to push online with the 3DS now, so I think there will be 3DS version. Not anytime soon, though; I think it would be the perfect title for a midlife sales kick. Voice and camera chat would be cool, but probably not reliable, and maybe risky for Nintendo if they want to stay semi-kid-friendly. I'm sure they'd find some neat way to implement StreetPass. I do worry that the touchscreen would lead unnecessary additions to the controls and character moves.

That same worry may also carry over to le Cafe, if this touchscreen-controller business come to fruition. But if its anything like Brawl with better online, HD, and a few juicy new characters, I'm sold.

Edited by benanen, 19 May 2011 - 06:22 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
Where's the option for both? :tongue:

The way I see it, is just like the Mario Kart, Zelda or any other franchise series where it has gotten more than one home to call upon.

half the fun in Smash is yelling at your friends as you beat them up/ as they beat you up

My question to the naysayers is why not? I can't see any significant negative effect. I can understand to an extent PG (as quoted) your reason for omitting in a portable design. But if that's the best reason for ommission then it's quite illogical.

This is one backwards approach anyone can take by not utilizing as many features as possible. i.e New Super Mario Bros. not having online was a huge let down for me personally.

Anyway, I'm seeing it as huge potential; not only as a portable game but also the expansion to new grounds. Graphics don't have to be everything either. I'd rather a low graphical output if it can let in for better performance in frame rate and online service.

I'd like to add that the pokemon crew down here have lots of meet-ups. You can bet 9 times out of 10, we LAN it up like a BOSS with whatever multiplayer game other than poke battles on the day. Having the next smash bros. on the 3DS would literally be the no.1 multiplayer game at these meet-ups. :)
NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I also think with the newly added grunt of Cafe, it'll be great for detailed backgrounds for stages. Unlike Plas, I've started to take the Smash games as sort of like a tribute to the previous generation of games. I'd love to have a Mario Galaxy stage where the stage flies from planet to planet like Mario when he uses the launch stars. Or a stage modeled from the upcoming Skyward Sword with the Skyward Sword model of Link used (or perhaps available as a costume). Or a DKCR stage where you can only see the silhouttes of the fighters as you battle at sunset.

Something like that, which whilst it could be done on the 3DS, just not to the same level IMO.

My question to the naysayers is why not? I can't see any significant negative effect. I can understand to an extent PG (as quoted) your reason for omitting in a portable design. But if that's the best reason for ommission then it's quite illogical.

My argument to this is that there might be a negative effect in that designing a portable and home version would mean that the ideas get divided among the titles rather than being in one spot.

The only idea that I could see as being cool is having all the portable stuff on the portable version (aka DS stages, character models etc) and having all the console stuff on the console version.

Edited by Phantom Ganon, 19 May 2011 - 06:38 PM.

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

My argument to this is that there might be a negative effect in that designing a portable and home version would mean that the ideas get divided among the titles rather than being in one spot.

The only idea that I could see as being cool is having all the portable stuff on the portable version (aka DS stages, character models etc) and having all the console stuff on the console version.

ahhh now it starts to get interesting :)

very good points. I would hope they go down that route, but who knows what the developers are thinking.
NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
It would be kinda weird though don't you think, having Toon Link in one version and Link in the other. Or perhaps they'd have the same characters in both? Bah, I dunno, they'll have to show that they have enough content to justify two sperate games. For now I'll stick with wanting the single game. I may change my mind if they/someone can prove to me otherwise.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

LordZod

LordZod

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
I see both sides of the argument... But this is one franchise that hasn't been whored out over the years... can't we keep it that way?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Vooks NRL Tipping 2007/2009/2010 Champion
Vooks AFL Dream Team 2007 Minor Premier
Vooks AFL Tipping 2011 Champion
Vooks Wrestling PPV Tipping 2007/2008 Champion

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts
Agree with the keep on the console side of the argument for a couple of reasons. The main ones though is that I don't think the 3DS platform needs it but the next generation console does. With the 3DS and the slew of N64 era games they could bring over as well as their established handhald franchises, Nintendo could release a new core game a month easily for the next three years.. something they're going to have to do with the new console.

If anything I think the new console needs some good core IP stuff from their DS lineup. Even now an epic pokemon console game could save the wii.
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts

Amirite?

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

But this is one franchise that hasn't been whored out over the years... can't we keep it that way?

I don't however believe extending to portable can be classed as "being whored out". The great thing I like about the smash series is that it has never had back to back releases within the one console.

Again, bringing back my emphasis on the Mario Kart approach. Also it's the type of game that really can't be whored out; whether as an incremental approach (FIFA) or cash-cow like one (Guitar Hero) within the life span of the one system.

The smash franchise as with most of Nintendo's AAA games are a piece of art.

So forfeiting the 3DS of having the smash series is a bit of a cop-out. I think there is enough room and in fact enough time (if they decide) to release on both platforms.

Let's say, have Smash Bros. 3DS come out first and then a good while till we see the console version. It's obvious that the console version will always be seen as royalty. Basically the bread and butter of the franchise will always be on the console. :)
NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
Keep it home console, not portable. Why? One reason, drunken enthusiasm... I have been convicted on a number of occasions of GUI... Gaming Under the Influence...

Wii tennis gets rowdy, I skin my knuckles on the walls, smack the hanging lights at my old place, and generally get a little carried away. I could imagine playing SSB CafeLatte a lot easier without the extreme jumping around, but the motions are there. I would hate to drop the 3DS whilst being enthusiastic, not to mention losing sight of the screen as I try to button mash my way through a tough fight. Also, the drinks between rounds is much easier to keep track of when you can put the controller down or hold in one hand, guzzle a beer or whatever and then return without having to sit perfectly still...
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

LordZod

LordZod

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

I don't however believe extending to portable can be classed as "being whored out". The great thing I like about the smash series is that it has never had back to back releases within the one console.

Again, bringing back my emphasis on the Mario Kart approach. Also it's the type of game that really can't be whored out; whether as an incremental approach (FIFA) or cash-cow like one (Guitar Hero) within the life span of the one system.

The smash franchise as with most of Nintendo's AAA games are a piece of art.

So forfeiting the 3DS of having the smash series is a bit of a cop-out. I think there is enough room and in fact enough time (if they decide) to release on both platforms.

Let's say, have Smash Bros. 3DS come out first and then a good while till we see the console version. It's obvious that the console version will always be seen as royalty. Basically the bread and butter of the franchise will always be on the console. :)

Good point. I just wouldn't want to see it going down the track of something like the EA Sports games... I mean, I buy FIFA every year, but that's just because I love football. Thinking about it now though, I can see that this wouldn't happen to SSB. I guess I saw a possible 3DS title as a sort of 'gateway game'- 3DS, next home console... what next?

To me, a SSB game has to be special. It's essentially Nintendo and gaming royalty. This series has to be handled so carefully. While I don't exactly support the 3DS idea... I don't suppose it'd be that bad. I don't know if it'd be as fun, however.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Vooks NRL Tipping 2007/2009/2010 Champion
Vooks AFL Dream Team 2007 Minor Premier
Vooks AFL Tipping 2011 Champion
Vooks Wrestling PPV Tipping 2007/2008 Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users