Xenoblade coming to PAL

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

You have a fair point, but this was definitely something that I felt was left totally unresolved on my first playthrough, so I was quite pleased that the game actually tackled this. Sometimes it's the small details that can really add to something, and this was personally one of those moments where the little intracasies of a fantasy world being fleshed out. To each his own however; I probably made a bigger deal out of it than what it actually is... but after 150+ hours play time, discovering something new was bound to get me excited. :P

EDIT: All the best with your playthrough in The Last Story. I've yet to try out the game, so perhaps you can shed some light on it once you've made a substantial dent in the game's content. :)

Oh not to demean the importance to the overall story - I just thought it was related to the "origin" story
Spoiler
but even so, it is good that story elements are kinda resolved.

So I'm taking a little break at the moment I think cos I can't play Last Story - I try to play it like I have been Xenoblade and it just doesn't work LOL the controls are very different during battle! Hopefully Xenoblade controls will start to fade in my mind so that I can play Last Story hehe
From the brief play I have had, it is quite impressive. Very different art style (faces are much more defined, where Xenoblade faces are very anime like). In any case, after my break I'll definitely jump into the Last Story :) speaking of which is there a thread for future questions etc?

Edited by diaglyph, 13 March 2012 - 05:29 AM.

Posted Image

Nintendo 3DS: 0903-2758-0800

Miiverse: diaglyph

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
-- Hogfather, Terry Pratchett

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Jeez.... Reading about diaglyph finishing this game over the past week-or-so makes me want it so bad! And the Last Story, which I'd forgotten existed after the Vooks comp. It's so nice to see these long RPGs extending the Wii's life.

At the very least, it couldn't hurt to at least try the games out to see if they capture your interest. From what I've read around the place, The Last Story is the shorter of the two and gets things flowing faster than Xenoblade, whilst Xenoblade has substantially more world-building content and player freedom. With that said, this is a fairly simplified comparison between the two; your best bet is to experience them for yourself and make your own calls. :)

So I'm taking a little break at the moment I think cos I can't play Last Story - I try to play it like I have been Xenoblade and it just doesn't work LOL the controls are very different during battle! Hopefully Xenoblade controls will start to fade in my mind so that I can play Last Story hehe
From the brief play I have had, it is quite impressive. Very different art style (faces are much more defined, where Xenoblade faces are very anime like). In any case, after my break I'll definitely jump into the Last Story :) speaking of which is there a thread for future questions etc?

I was unable to find a thread for The Last Story via the forum search system, so it may be safe for you to start a new thread if you wish to discuss it (or even write a blog about it).

Edited by Toadsiliwraith, 13 March 2012 - 07:05 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

At the very least, it couldn't hurt to at least try the games out to see if they capture your interest. From what I've read around the place, The Last Story is the shorter of the two and gets things flowing faster than Xenoblade, whilst Xenoblade has substantially more world-building content and player freedom. With that said, this is a fairly simplified comparison between the two; your best bet is to experience them for yourself and make your own calls. :)

I did keep up with a lot of the media around launch time, but that doesn't really give someone like myself with very little RPG experience a feel for the game... Not to derail the thread, but how would you say it compares to Monster Hunter Tri? That's basically the only thing I could compare it to, even if MH is it's own little area genre-wise...

Edited by benanen, 13 March 2012 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

I did keep up with a lot of the media around launch time, but that doesn't really give someone like myself with very little RPG experience a feel for the game... Not to derail the thread, but how would you say it compares to Monster Hunter Tri? That's basically the only thing I could compare it to, even if MH is it's own little area genre-wise...

I cannot vouch for this comparison for myself, as I have not played Monster Hunter Tri in any shape or form. With that said, such a comparison is frequently made by people, and others have responded in turn to these observations, so I will "borrow" one such response here.

Way off. Monster Hunter is just killing monsters and stuff. This is a story/character driven JRPG, with an MMO like battle system and large world. Similar to FFXII I suppose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

I cannot vouch for this comparison for myself, as I have not played Monster Hunter Tri in any shape or form. With that said, such a comparison is frequently made by people, and others have responded in turn to these observations, so I will "borrow" one such response here.

Fair enough. I figure on a core level it will be similar: A big world to explore, enemies to fight, a levelling/equipment system. Obviously the story is an experience in itself, and MH doesn't really have one, so I think I would be safe to take the plunge when I have the time.

Actually speaking of that, is there a minimum time for a single play session in Xenoblade? In Monster Hunter, there are time limits, so you will be stuck trying to defeat a single monster inside an hour, and if you fail, it's back to square one, which is a huge time sink. Certainly not suited to sporadic playing either.

Edited by benanen, 13 March 2012 - 01:43 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Actually speaking of that, is there a minimum time for a single play session in Xenoblade? In Monster Hunter, there are time limits, so you will be stuck trying to defeat a single monster inside an hour, and if you fail, it's back to square one, which is a huge time sink. Certainly not suited to sporadic playing either.

Play sessions in Xenoblade can be as long or as short as you like. The game allows you to save virtually anywhere at any time, and you can spend however long you wish exploring an area, fighting monsters or progressing the story with fairly minimal consequences. I say minimal because there are a few quests and areas that "lock out" beyond certain key points in the game, but these are few and far between and loaded towards the very end of the game, so it's not something to be overly worried about. Plus the infamous "Point of no return" at the end of most jRPGs is very clearly spelt out to you, so you can stop and do other things before the final boss with ease if you so wish.

Another point I will raise is the highly forgiving nature of the battle system in Xenoblade. Should you happen to fail in battle, you will be teleported back to the nearest Landmark with absolutely no penalty; anything that you collected or earned during your play session (including EXP) will be retained after death, as if it never happened.

Posted Image

Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Play sessions in Xenoblade can be as long or as short as you like. The game allows you to save virtually anywhere at any time, and you can spend however long you wish exploring an area, fighting monsters or progressing the story with fairly minimal consequences. I say minimal because there are a few quests and areas that "lock out" beyond certain key points in the game, but these are few and far between and loaded towards the very end of the game, so it's not something to be overly worried about. Plus the infamous "Point of no return" at the end of most jRPGs is very clearly spelt out to you, so you can stop and do other things before the final boss with ease if you so wish.

Another point I will raise is the highly forgiving nature of the battle system in Xenoblade. Should you happen to fail in battle, you will be teleported back to the nearest Landmark with absolutely no penalty; anything that you collected or earned during your play session (including EXP) will be retained after death, as if it never happened.

Wow, sounds like its totally the opposite! Far less 'grinding' (grinding in terms of annoyance/frustration, rather than 'XP grinding') than Monster Hunter. Not that I'm hating on MH, which is very rewarding. I think I described it in my blog once as a perfect 'holiday' game; when you have time in abundance.

Thanks for the tips Toad. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Wow, sounds like its totally the opposite! Far less 'grinding' (grinding in terms of annoyance/frustration, rather than 'XP grinding') than Monster Hunter. Not that I'm hating on MH, which is very rewarding. I think I described it in my blog once as a perfect 'holiday' game; when you have time in abundance.

Thanks for the tips Toad. :)

Yeah, you can save anywhere (except for moving platforms LOL for some reason you can't save on a moving platforms). There is also map travel, so as long as you've discovered a landmark you can also jump to landmark through the map screen. Initially I thought I'd have to really grind, but I think my frustration got in the way LOL As soon as I hit 70 or so I was able to continue on with my progress. But I am sure if you did most or all the side quests as you go along each area you will certainly be overleveled. I remember reading on a forum somewhere (probably gamefaqs) where someone was complaining about a certain creature at Eryth Sea (which I would say would be maybe just over a third of the way into the game) was annoying him and he was level 70 or something. He had apparently spent all his time doing every single quest from the areas leading up to Eryth Sea. I don't suggest you do that ;) unless you're into that sort of thing LOL
Posted Image

It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts
So the Americans finally have the game. Had a gander in the GAF thread and had a wry smile seeing there reactions to some of the stuff.

Not that I can talk too much, I'm still at Sword Valley. Which I think is the half way point of the game?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Ganmaku

Ganmaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
Can anyone go into some detail for me regarding the open world environment? Is it massive and expansive like WoW as in you can run for hours and there's hundreds of nooks and crannies to explore?

If its a yes then I'm going to grab this game I think.
z e l d a f l a v o u r e d z e b r a t o w e l d a n c e

borgster101

borgster101

Rebel, Emissary, Chosen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Can anyone go into some detail for me regarding the open world environment? Is it massive and expansive like WoW as in you can run for hours and there's hundreds of nooks and crannies to explore?

Yeah, pretty much.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ganmaku

Ganmaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
I see.. Also one more question: I heard there's an option to choose either the Japanese or the English dub, does the JP dub have subtitles on the cut scenes?

z e l d a f l a v o u r e d z e b r a t o w e l d a n c e

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts
You can choose the subtitles as well. All the cutscenes (AFAIK) are in-engine so all the subtitles would be provided in real time. So to answer you question, yes you can get it subbed. The British voicework is pretty cool though.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
The voicework in this, Last Story and Pandora's Tower are all phenomenal.

Probably because Nintendo America weren't in charge of localisation

Posted Image
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Yes I agree.
It was certainly a breath of fresh air to have english accents.
Kinda tired of always hearing american accents
Posted Image

James

James

Pop Ate My Heart

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts
The problem too is that many American actors and actresses also seem to be so full of themselves so they tend to over-act. Also, many of them work in the Anime industry and bring this kind of quality to the game itself and I cannot stand when that happens.

Konami recently did this to my beloved Silent Hill 3 and I cannot unhear any of the annoying actors and associating them with their anime counterparts =(
Community Manager & Review Contributor
Posted Image
Posted Image
[ Twitter | Minus | last.fm ]

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
you're right, there is that over acting anime quality to it.
especially when they get middle aged women to do a girl's voice, and it just sounds wrong.
Posted Image

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I found Pachirisu!
Posted Image

Edited by diaglyph, 20 April 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts
Oh Riki.

Played this again after a few months off and it made me wonder why I'd stopped playing in the first place. Seriously just spent 2 hours exploring Valak Mountain. That alone allowed me to progress the rebuilding side quest and gain some valuable experience before tackling the area I'm currently up to.

This has seriously got to be one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time. Listening to some tracks from the soundtrack now with headphones just to get the best listening out of it. :)
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

borgster101

borgster101

Rebel, Emissary, Chosen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts
I'm back into it again too ... it's freaking awesome! :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
Hmm, maybe I need to boot it back up... don't know why I stopped playing in the first place... I think Zelda and then the glut of 3DS titles took me away.

logo.gif

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Around 70?)

diaglyph

diaglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I love the soundtrack :)
I also love how they made daytime and nighttime music for the areas.
I don't think I've played a game like Xenoblade before - its certainly been a wonderful experience!
I may come back to it again sometime later, using my game+ save :) (just wait till you see the Game+ -- you're given the option to select 30 pieces of items from each category to carry across as well as whatever is currently equipped on your characters!)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users