• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
So 25 years ago, on the 21st of Febuary 1986 on the Famicom Disc System Nintendo released a game that would be the start of one of their best and most well renowned game series. It was a game completely unlike anything the Famicom had seen before it. It started a little boy in a green tunic, it placed you in a land filled with monsters and secrets. Completely alone with nothing to defend yourself with but your trusty Wooden Shield it was a daunting task for the young hero Link to save the Princess Zelda from the evil Ganon. Thankfully you get your Sword very early on and from there its just a case of going from dungeon to dungeon collecting the 8 pieces of the Triforce, finding Ganons lair and defeating the dark lord, simple right.

I've been watching the Chrontendo series which has been looking at the history of the Famicom/NES one game at a time and it just amazes me how Zelda seemed to come out of no where on the system, there is really nothing else like it before it came out (barring maybe Tower of Duraga and Hydlide but they weren't really all the good so maybe not worth talking about :P) If I had of been a kid in Japan when this came out my mind would of been blown, an open world game which didn't pull any punches but wasn't too hard to be unbeatable. Heck even to this day the game is amazing to play, holds up as good as any NES game does.

And of course the game spawned a legacy, 15 amazing squeals, several outstanding remakes. One of its many sequels is still considered the best game ever made by many. And barring the awful CDi games which really don't count anyway, there hasn't been a bad Zelda game, even the worst Zelda game is still an amazing game that any developer should be happy to make. Its a game series that has managed to stay fresh and relevant for 25 years.

So heres to 25 years of questing throughout Hyrule, be it on foot, on a horse or on a boat and lets hope for many many more years to follow.
Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
And now is where I feel sad/ashamed/guilty becasue I only own Ocarina of Time and I've never finished it. :lurk: :sowwy: :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

ENKC

ENKC

Really Rockin' Dude

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts
...at least you own it. I'm still kicking myself for all the times I rented it as a kid but never bought it or finished it. Ah well, bring on the 3DS.
"Countless waves around me; strong until the last
Leaning into dimming dreams; all that was has passed"

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

...at least you own it. I'm still kicking myself for all the times I rented it as a kid but never bought it or finished it. Ah well, bring on the 3DS.

You could of gotten it on Cube ;)
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
Hooray! Joyous childhood memories!

Can the series get a shake-up now?

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Can the series get a shake-up now?

Links Awakening
Majoras Mask
Wind Waker
Phantom Hourglass

Its already had shake ups, every time they try and do something different people complain :P
Posted Image

ENKC

ENKC

Really Rockin' Dude

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts

You could of gotten it on Cube ;)

Oh, the disappointment I had when my pre-owned copy of Wind Waker turned out to have the sticker about the bonus disc, but not the disc itself. :(
"Countless waves around me; strong until the last
Leaning into dimming dreams; all that was has passed"

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Majoras Mask
Wind Waker

Its already had shake ups, every time they try and do something different people complain :P

They're still the same Zelda formula/style :P *shrug* I'm just one of the crowd who likes those games to stay in the past, and would like Ninty to put more time and effort into new IPs and gameplay, rather than continuously tweaking what we've had past.

Funny, because with TP we thought OoT all over againw ould be great, but it was when we got it that some of us complained it was too similar :P

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Oh, the disappointment I had when my pre-owned copy of Wind Waker turned out to have the sticker about the bonus disc, but not the disc itself. :(

Funnily enough I was lucky enough to get the Zelda Collectors Edt during a clearance at K-Mart years ago for free, I hope it wasn't yours :blink:

But wow 25 years, let the good times roll :dance:

I found TP to be simmilar to OoT, but it was a good game certainly not as bad as most people seem to make it. I've played MM and PH but haven't actually finished them sadly.

Edited by Polde, 21 February 2011 - 03:52 PM.

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I found TP to be simmilar to OoT, but it was a good game certainly not as bad as most people seem to make it.

I'm convinced alot of gamers do not know what they want, first they saw Wind Waker and had a big song and dance about it not looking like Ocarina, and then when Nintendo did give them what they wanted and gave them another Ocarina they had a song and Dance about it being too similar to Ocarina. Despite the fact that Wind Waker and Twilight Princes are both still amazing god damn games to this day, but there will always be a bunch of people who will complain for the sake of it.
Posted Image

Takora

Takora

• Lifetime Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Good ol' Zelda. While you don't interest me nearly as much as you did 4 years ago, you will still hold a place in my heart for the good times we've had.

Might finally start playing Link to the Past now. Got up to Turtle Rock on the GBA version, but never got through it.

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

I'm convinced alot of gamers do not know what they want, first they saw Wind Waker and had a big song and dance about it not looking like Ocarina, and then when Nintendo did give them what they wanted and gave them another Ocarina they had a song and Dance about it being too similar to Ocarina. Despite the fact that Wind Waker and Twilight Princes are both still amazing god damn games to this day, but there will always be a bunch of people who will complain for the sake of it.

I loved WW to bits, really great game, I think it deserves a 3DS remake more than OoT. TPs greatness was blunted by the fact it was so similar to OoT, had a been-there-done-that feel to many parts. Of course that's only a factor for oldies, no doubt all the kiddies who had TP as their first Zelda game had their minds blown.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Isn't Turtle Rock in Link's Awakening?

It's funny how many Zelda games I have unfinished. Zelda 1 I'm up to Level 6, Zelda 2 I'm lost completely (and completely convinced this game was designed to force you to seek help), Link to the Past I can't find my way to the dungeon with the 5th Crystal in it, Majora's Mask I assume I'm at the end as I've got all the Boss Remains, Oracle of Seasons I'm up to the 6th Dungeon, Link's Awakening and Minish Cap I got to the end but never beat the last boss.

As for where I hope Skyward Sword goes, I just hope the devs don't listen to the fans. While TP was a good game it was pretty much the worse game out of the 3D Zelda games IMO. But good sigsn for SS so far, in that most people are dismissing it like they did to WW.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
One of my favorite gaming memories is Wind Waker on summer nights, the windows open to the pool outside stars reflecting off its surface, the gentle rustle of the palms or the blinds in the breeze, and all the time exploring the fantastic waterworld on the screen in front of me. That and Mario Sunshine : 3

Edited by PlasmaDavid, 21 February 2011 - 06:25 PM.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Wind Waker probably has the best ending to a Zelda game. It's something that completely belies the child like look of the game. In fact I'd say WW and MM have the most "moments" in the series. Stuff like saying goodbye to Grandma in WW had me extremely moved when I first played it. Never underestimate what Koji Kondo's brilliant work did for that game. For MM the dying Zora guitarist and the Gibdo in the closet stand out, taking into account that I haven't finished the game yet.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I loved WW to bits, really great game, I think it deserves a 3DS remake more than OoT. TPs greatness was blunted by the fact it was so similar to OoT, had a been-there-done-that feel to many parts. Of course that's only a factor for oldies, no doubt all the kiddies who had TP as their first Zelda game had their minds blown.

I agree Wind Waker is an amazing game to this day, heck you could make a case for it still being the best looking Zelda game. But the thing is alot of gamers said we just want another Ocarina, so Nintendo gave them that, then they complained about it being the same as Ocarina and not being different enough, despite the fact the 2 previous Zeldas where 2 of the most different and unique games on the system.

Pic Related
Posted Image

On a side note I'm gonna try and finish a few Zelda games this week, picked up Minish cap again, should be able to get this baby done in the next day or so, after that its on to Oracle of Seasons to get that bad boy out of the way and hopefully get Phantom Hourglass done next.
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
Really hanging out for the Oracle games if the 3DS gets a VC service...

Matthew945

Matthew945

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
Hooray for Zelda! My favourite is MM closely followed by WW. I'm actually playing through Master Quest on my bonus disc with WW so I hope to finish that soon. I'm currently in the Fire Temple. Also, bring on OOT 3D and Skyward Sword! :D
NNID: RedYoshi999
3DS FC: 4682-8576-2407

indevelopment

indevelopment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,341 posts
Enjoying reading/lurking in this thread, just noticed there's some nice tribute 8-bit style images over at Game and Graphics.
Member of the de Blob cult of win - vale thq

pokémons!

still playing animal crossing lets go to the city 5328 1955 3248 Town: Sputnik User: G

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts
Here's to another 25 years hopefully :)

oh and LoZ:ALttP = Best zelda ever.

Edited by playa271, 22 February 2011 - 03:27 PM.

NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

And now is where I feel sad/ashamed/guilty becasue I only own Ocarina of Time and I've never finished it. :lurk: :sowwy: :(

Same, 'cept I have Twilight Princess too. I wasn't really big on Zelda but after playing TP, I really wanted to get into the series.

I'm looking forward to buying Skyward Sword soon after its release and playing through it properly.

Edited by Excite, 22 February 2011 - 02:48 PM.

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
My very first Legend of Zelda experience was with Ocarina of Time, which remains to this day as one of my most prominent childhood memories, as well as one of my all time favourite games.

Before me was a vast world to explore, filled with danger and excitement. With "Link" sharing the same name as my own, a strong personal connection gradually developed between myself and the game world in which I was immersed. As I progressed and grew stronger, new areas and secrets became accessible to me, new foes emerged which required different tactics, and new demands were placed onto of ones I felt closer to accomplishing. It really got to the point where such an adventure actually became important to me, and as a child, it was like living out a fantasy. It was MY job to protect the Triforce and save Hyrule from its otherwise doomed fate, after all.

To this day, I still remember many key memories and feelings towards the game. I remember being stuck for hours trying to figure out how to get inside Jabu Jabu (Oh! I needed to give him a fish? Of course!). I remember stepping outside the Temple of Time after seven years and being shocked as I saw the world I once knew being utterly destroyed, with once familiar places becoming even more dangerous than before. I remember being saddened returning to the Forest Temple to find Saria long gone, being one of the few characters that cared about me. I remember being scared wandering through the Shadow Temple and the Well, filled with fear that the next corner or room would be filled with ReDeads. And I remember the feeling of triumph as the world slowly returned to normal as I defeated each of Ganon's monsters, along with Ganon himself. Irrespective of the childhood rosy tinted nostalgia goggles, Ocarina of Time gave me a magical experience that I never had before.

Now, many may pigeonhole me with the typical N64 generation who refuse acknowledge the classics as a result of my view toward Ocarina of Time (akin to the "Metroid Prime purist" conundrum, to which I also coincidentally break the supposed rule), but this is actually far from the truth. Thanks to the Virtual Console, I decided to visit the NES and SNES Zelda installments for the first time, fully completing the original LoZ and A Link to the Past in the process. Despite some personal issues with Zelda II (I should really give it a second chance though), I thoroughly enjoyed all of them for what they continue to bring to the table after all these years, and appreciate that many people back in the day would have shared a similar experience with these titles as I did with Ocarina of Time. Indeed, there were several sources of inspiration that OoT drew upon from these classic games that I could instantly recognise and appreciate, creating a richer experience in the process. Link's Awakening DX was also a big favourite of mine on the GameBoy Colour, providing an ample, pocket sized Zelda experience whenever I felt the need to play on the go. Numerous Mario references were quite a delight; it was like a fusion of two worlds!

More recently, my interest in the series has taken a downturn, amplified by the personally disappointing Twilight Princess; Nintendo's portrayal of the Wii and the controller at the time certainly didn't help. Perhaps I have become jaded over the years towards the series, but having experienced many entries into the Zelda universe, I really do feel that something of Zelda's core has slowly diminished. It's hard for me to pin down precisely in my mind, but I invite you to read the following article carefully, as I can't help but agree with many key points raised by both people. It should make some interesting debate with the Vookian community.

Sean Malstrom: Email - My Zelda Experience

Whilst this might seem like an ending on a negative and cynical note, there is no doubt that the Zelda series has brought many fantastic, memorable experiences to me over the years, along with millions of others throughout the world. Here's hoping that it will continue to do so for future generations of gamers to come, either through new adventures or through the resilience of the all-time classics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
Awesome read Toadsiliwraith. Also making me feel old like most others here for saying your first Zelda was OoT :( I wish we had more SNES era guys around here.

So on another note, this being the 25th year for Zelda what do you want to see Nintendo do to celebrate the series? True we do already have 2 awesome Zelda games coming out this year but lets be honest we are greedy and do want more :D.

Me personally I'd love to see a special 25 year 3DS pack when Ocarina comes out, gold painted 3DS, comes with OoT and Links Awakening already loaded on it. Also I want to see a special pack ala what we saw for Mario last year except with a little more effort put into it. Give us a Collectors pack containing just the Remake of the original Zelda that appeared on the Satelaview in Japan (for those who don't know its a 16bit remake of the original, looks pretty good and would be alot more accessible to most newer gamers), and a remake of Four Swords Adventures from the Cube with added support for using DS's in place of GBAs or just allow multiplay with the Wiimote on its side. Add in a nice little art book, a soundtrack CD and if they are feeling really nice a DVD talking about the history of Zelda. Charge us 100 bucks for it and I would be really really happy. If they werre feeling very nice give us a 16bit version of Zelda 2, that would be win.

That said I'm sure none of that will happen and we'll just get the Gamecube Zelda Collectors Edition for the Wii and maybe a CD and a book. The only thing stopping me from thinking that would happen is the remake of OoT and maybe they don't want to steal thunder from that.
Posted Image

Matthew945

Matthew945

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
I don't even think they will go as far as putting any 3D Zelda's on their pack. They will basically do the same thing as Mario with the 2D originals, CD and book. They might do Zelda Anniversary competition too. Maybe even a green or gold Wii will come out.
NNID: RedYoshi999
3DS FC: 4682-8576-2407

Crawfish Prime

Crawfish Prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I must be one of the few that prefer TP over OOT.
Neither were the first entry in the series I played, and OOT, whilst played before TP, didn't play it until about 5 or 6 years after release.

It's not that I don't like OOT, I just felt it was another game, whilst TP dragged me in and was more of an experience than just another game to me.

I don't even think they will go as far as putting any 3D Zelda's on their pack. They will basically do the same thing as Mario with the 2D originals, CD and book. They might do Zelda Anniversary competition too. Maybe even a green or gold Wii will come out.

What would be more cool is if they reworked the BS Zelda's into a form that they could be played off a Disc, and did that with a CD and book. Also, I doubt they'll bother with a competition and wii. As popular as Zelda is, it's no where near as mainstream as Mario is. Which is why we've had nothing in the form of celebration of the anniversary from Nintendo themselves so far.

Edited by Crawfish Prime, 22 February 2011 - 04:30 PM.

Currently Playing:

Kirby: Epic Yarn

Progress:

79%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users