• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
Was Link right or left handed int he two DS Zeldas? I forget.

Edited by AyJay100, 21 June 2010 - 06:21 PM.

Posted Image

I had that same problem, I ended up just button mashing till it worked

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Left handed. This'll be the first right handed one, assuming the GCN version of Twilight Princess was the canonical one (which it probably was seeing as everything was in "the right place" in that one).

Well, actually not ALL lefties do. Some think it's akward to use the analogue in the right hand, due to all traditional controllers utilising the left thumb for it's control. However, for me, and many lefthanders, using the wii-remote in the right hand was even more awkward (pointer mainly - you need to be steady), and therefore, realising some amount of adapdation was required, opted for the less akward option of switching the analogue control (which is a simple circular motion) to the right thumb.

Just some points I can bring up with this post. In no way will I defend Nintendo for not providing a left handed option, but some points nonetheless. The bow and slingshot controls aren't pointer controlled in SS. Rather they control in the same way as Wii Sports Resort archery, which in this case makes the use of the slingshot and the bow extremely useful. The slingshot will be used for rapid firing at things like Keese where as the bow will be used for more precision sniping. In fact the struggle for lefties would probably solely lie with the swordplay. Everything else seems workable except for the main interaction regarding combat, which is a shame and something that surely they can add a "sword in left hand" option for.

Another point about Link being ambidextrous. He uses the sword in the right hand in SS, yet uses the bow left handed. It's simply to avoid having to switch hands every time, but still, it adds to the ambidextrous argument.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Lucrei

Lucrei

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

My mum is left handed. She bowls left handed and therefore she WiiBowls left handed. Nintendo started it, now they've gotta stick with it.

Glad to see at least a couple of people see the points I made ;)

Sort of backing away from the dominant hand issue though - I'm really psyched for this game. I think it might deliver more on that "Ocarina of Time successor" notion, far better than Twilight Princess did. Which to be honest, it really didn't.

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
I honestly don't think it's worth trying to put Skyward Sword in that position. It doesn't have to live up to Ocarina of Time, or exceed it. I think I can appreciate OoT, TP and SS all in their own little nutshells, rather than trying to stack them up to each other. Everyone got too hyped up for TP and looked what happened there. I'm pretty sure it was universally acknowledged by Zelda fans to be a failure on succeeding OoT, and therefore a failure overall. Personally, I didn't see a need to compare it so directly to OoT. So what if it was rehashed a little? I don't care that Ganon made a return, and that Zora's Domain needed to be thawed out. Seriously, the nostalgia was there for me, not the sense of déjà vu. I think I can appreciate TP and OoT on their own separate levels, and that's what I'm going to do for SS as well.

I think it's best now that we let the dust settle and stay away from making too many comparisons and judgments while it's early. As a matter of fact, I'm sure part of the reason that the art style was chosen was to prevent the game from being placed as a direct successor to TP, OoT or WW. I also think it's best for us to leave OoT as one of the biggest Zeldas, what with it's multitude of dungeons, because it's just unfair to expect every game forthwith to exceed that quantity of challenges in order to usurp it's 'best Zelda' status. Even that's debatable, as it stands.

Edited by Darth Robbo, 22 June 2010 - 10:14 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image
3DS Friend Code: 3609 - 1057 - 9044
PC Specs: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz, 2 x MSi GTX 560 Ti in SLI, 8GB 1600MHz Vengeance.

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

I honestly don't think it's worth trying to put Skyward Sword in that position. It doesn't have to live up to Ocarina of Time, or exceed it. I think I can appreciate OoT, TP and SS all in their own little nutshells, rather than trying to stack them up to each other. Everyone got too hyped up for TP and looked what happened there. I'm pretty sure it was universally acknowledged by Zelda fans to be a failure on succeeding OoT, and therefore a failure overall. Personally, I didn't see a need to compare it so directly to OoT. So what if it was rehashed a little? I don't care that Ganon made a return, and that Zora's Domain needed to be thawed out. Seriously, the nostalgia was there for me, not the sense of déjà vu. I think I can appreciate TP and OoT on their own separate levels, and that's what I'm going to do for SS as well.

I think it's best now that we let the dust settle and stay away from making too many comparisons and judgments while it's early. As a matter of fact, I'm sure part of the reason that the art style was chosen was to prevent the game from being placed as a direct successor to TP, OoT or WW. I also think it's best for us to leave OoT as one of the biggest Zeldas, what with it's multitude of dungeons, because it's just unfair to expect every game forthwith to exceed that quantity of challenges in order to usurp it's 'best Zelda' status. Even that's debatable, as it stands.

This. I don't understand how every game nowadays has to be the best thing ever, can't we just appreciate things individually?

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
In somewhat related news, I'm calling Ganondorf/Ganon will NOT be in SS. Just by the few things I've heard about story.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
That'd be a shame.

When was the last Zelda game where Ganondorf was the main villain right from the start?

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Wind Waker? Twilight Princess had him for a pretty substantial period as well.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
TP isn't worth mentioning if AyJay is talking 'right from the start'. Ganondorf is revealed only near the end...
Posted Image

Posted Image
PC Specs: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz, 2 x MSi GTX 560 Ti in SLI, 8GB 1600MHz Vengeance.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
He's shown in the middle. Did no one else actually expect him to be a part of the game after that cutscene?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Darth Robbo

Darth Robbo

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. :ermm:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
All this debate about which Zelda is best, which one makes a better story etc etc. I love ALL Zelda games, including the small Game & Watch micro version which, although very meh, was awesome in its' own right.

I can see the issue with Left vs Right hand dominance, but seriously this would've been an issue from the start of the Wii's remote controller invention when it came to gaming. You can't please them all I guess.

Every single Zelda game, as for story, is a great adventure on its own. No two stories have to link up or make any great sense time-wise. Did everyone play the original GB Zelda? Waking the great space whale on some island, and something to do with dreams... all that I see that's needed for continuity is a sword, some nasties to slash and a shield. All the weapons change, all the dungeons change (but have a great level of familiarity) and the puzzles are similar yet different... I love them all, and this game looks to be no different!

Thumbs up for enhanced motion control!
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

Akiyo

Akiyo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Did everyone play the original GB Zelda? Waking the great space whale on some island, and something to do with dreams...

I had to quote this, it made me laugh. ^_^

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
Glad I made your day Akiyo... I have it buried away with my clear-plastic GB somewhere in the cupboard, and well, it was awesome, and a little "I've smoked too much hooch" sorta ideas (space whale... lol).
Posted Image

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
It'd be great if the box for the game was gold, like how the NSMBW box was red.

Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
OMG YES!!! I agree totally with that.

Gold carts were always a staple of the Zelda series. I missed the joy of a gold glint with the GC versions...
Posted Image

Lucrei

Lucrei

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
There would be something nostalgic about a golden case.

I do remember enjoying the variety of colour in Nintendo 64 games, namely Zelda (OoT and MM), Donkey Kong 64 and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Sure made finding them in a group alot easier too!

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

I do remember enjoying the variety of colour in Nintendo 64 games, namely Zelda (OoT and MM), Donkey Kong 64 and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Variety? THEY WERE ALL YELLOW! ;D

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
For people scared of spoilers, don't watch IGN's Rewind Theater. Although the particular spoiler that is mentioned is common knowledge, I'd still encourage those who don't know to avoid it.

The spoiler being:
Spoiler

But it does have some cool things in it, so watch it otherwise.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I found a gameplay video of the E3 demo for this on Youtube

There are some real interesting things in it. Firstly a note on the difficulty. The Deku Baba thingies do 1 heart of damage per hit which is more than the quarter or half a heart that they used to. Secondly the map screen is really interesting. The demo area seems to be a dungeon but the map layout is different to the typical dungeon maps which reinforces the not being able to differentiate between dungeon and field feeling that they seem to be going for.

I might have more when I've watched the whole thing. It goes for 10 minutes.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
God I want this game- why did you have to remind me it existed- now I have to remember that its not coming out for a long time.

MissFlux

MissFlux

• Members
  • 22 posts

God I want this game- why did you have to remind me it existed- now I have to remember that its not coming out for a long time.

HAHA! awwmy gawd! I've been hiding under a rock just hopin when i come out there the new Zelda will be .. looks like i came out a lil to early :ermm:
Oh this is gonna be EPIC!!!! :rawk:
MarioKart: 1161-3340-9689
Anima Crossing City Folk: 1076-7715-1575 Town: Deville
Adding more games soon, got some suggestions? Pm me! :)

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Rumors say its going to be launched along side the 3DS- aka sometime in March.

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
BUMP with new information. Finishing Touches.

We first heard about the latest entry in The Legend of Zelda series back at E3, and according to Nintendo's investment meeting this week, Skyward Sword is already getting its last bit of polish.

Since the latest Wii entry is getting its "finishing touches" it looks like Skyward Sword is on schedule for a 2011 release. Who else is excited?

http://www.gameinfor...ng-touches.aspx

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Well here's hoping then. I've heard a lot of different things ranging from "the game is half complete" and now to "finishing touches".

IMO it'll be out before E3 but how far before it I have no idea.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users