• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
^ Gotta agree I've reached the same apathy point. Up to a bit with lots and lots of water, just don't feel compelled to play more. Which is really sad, because the snippets where you'd run into demon-boy and actually have a bit of dialogue and proper story-carrot were really good.

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Lots and lots of water bit is probably the worst part. It goes up from there IMO. But I can't force you guys to finish it, it's gotta come from within you guys, and if it's not, then the game hasn't done its job.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
It's not super terrible, the task is sort of fun in theory, but the area is not.

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

^ Gotta agree I've reached the same apathy point. Up to a bit with lots and lots of water, just don't feel compelled to play more. Which is really sad, because the snippets where you'd run into demon-boy and actually have a bit of dialogue and proper story-carrot were really good.

It's not super terrible, the task is sort of fun in theory, but the area is not.

For a moment I thought you were being sarcastic there, but it seems your follow up reply to Phantom Ganon has proven otherwise; my sincere apologies. It seems I have much to learn about your particular style of posting; to be honest, I much prefer people being straight up honest as it causes much less confusion for me.

On the topic of water areas though, I find the swimming controls work quite well, as well as the underwater spin attack. Link's movement speed on the surface of the water though is downright terrible, as it's close to snail's pace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
How could that be construed as sarcasm? ._.

I agree that the swimming controls, whilst not perfect, is pretty great.

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
If you want to travel fast enough across water, you gotta develop the dolphin leap technique to make you travel faster. Don't ask me why, but it works so much better.

I agree, the huge expanse of water does get frustrating and does slow you down, but rest assured, it's only temporary. The game starts to culminate into the final answers from that point onwards. The whole range of story plots begin to explain their relevance... and thankfully you won't have to see that damn amount of water again!
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

morzag

morzag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
I might go so far as to say the desert is the most inspired area of the entire series, but I very much found Skyward Sword as a whole a rather mediocre Zelda installment. Not that it's a bad game, but it seems to constrict the elements of exploration and discovery that make the series great while focusing too much on attempts to make us care for a trite story. Too much dialogue supporting a sparse and predictable plot. Fi could almost be a symbolic of the game as a whole, with her spates of "Master, there is a door here with a lock. I surmise that the door will open upon the unlocking of its lock. Given current data, I calculate the probability of coming closer to our goal upon accessing the room beyond this door is 83.7574002%. I strongly suggest we seek out the key and attempt to unlock this door."

These flaws seem to have been a trend of the series since Wind Waker, though, and they kind of have their seeds in the way Ocarina of Time impressed everybody when the stronger emphasis on story elements was new to the series (but not yet at the cost of other elements), so I can't say I was overly surprised to find this the case. (I should note I've enjoyed all of the Zelda games I've played, but simply feel Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all fell short of potential).

Skyward Sword was fun enough to sustain my compulsion to continue to the end, however. I have to say, a player who has only been to the desert once and is feeling apathetic really needs to struggle through until the time comes to revisit it. You haven't seen the best it has to offer.

GoodOrEvil

GoodOrEvil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Location:Adelaide Street, Australia (The Red House On The Left)
I got to the bit with the water in the forest over a month ago or something, haven't picked the game up since. The story's not terribly compelling, the controls are lacklustre (particularly the flying/swimming bit. Who honestly thought that was a good control scheme?) and I'm just bored with it.

There are two reasons I play games and finish them - a good story that compels me to keep going (Fallout 3, Dragone Age: Origins, Bastion), and good, fun gameplay (Team Fortress 2, Trine, Pokémon). Skyward Sword has none of these. The motion controls hinder, rather than help. The story is just...it's there. It's not Majora's Mask, where you're drawn into the world and the characters in it. It's not Ocarina of Time which was beautifully poetic at times (hello Sheik). There's not even much of a tie back to the older games if you think about it. They've tried something new, I'll give them that, but it hasn't worked, and they've removed some of the Zelda elements from it, and with it the charm of the series. Part of the problem is the Wii itself - technical limitations and a lack of power means it can't really compete with the AAA titles released over the past couple of years, and the motion controls, even with Motion+, just aren't very good.

I do like what they've done with the art style though.

EDIT: Also, Groose. Groose was good.

Edited by GoodOrEvil, 12 February 2012 - 01:03 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 1650-1811-1744

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

How could that be construed as sarcasm? ._.

Well, some of your responses earlier in this thread have made me feel a tad defensive towards posting any negative critisism towards the game, and, as such, interpreted your recent postings as being of the same wavelength. Of course, that's my own fault for doing so; it is admittedly a nasty character flaw of mine, and thus I offer my apologies for doing so.

EDIT: Reading over some of my older posts though, it's interesting to see how some things panned out! Digging was no where near as bad as I was expecting, and the Gust Bellows was surprisingly decent in its implementation.

Skyward Sword was fun enough to sustain my compulsion to continue to the end, however. I have to say, a player who has only been to the desert once and is feeling apathetic really needs to struggle through until the time comes to revisit it. You haven't seen the best it has to offer.

Whilst you may have a point that there is better to come in the game (and I really did like the Desert area), telling the player they need to endure through a lack of interest towards a game that has failed to generate said interest in the first place doesn't come off as a very convincing argument. It sounds very much like the "But Final Fantasy XIII gets good 20 hours in, give it a chance!" line the the game is infamously associated with; ironically, my current playtime is around 15 hours, so I feel the timeframe for the game to really grab me has well and truly passed.

There are two reasons I play games and finish them - a good story that compels me to keep going (Fallout 3, Dragone Age: Origins, Trine, Pokémon). Skyward Sword has none of these.

You only listed one reason there; I would be curious to know what your other reason is though. :)

Edited by Toadsiliwraith, 12 February 2012 - 12:46 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

GoodOrEvil

GoodOrEvil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Location:Adelaide Street, Australia (The Red House On The Left)

You only listed one reason there; I would be curious to know what your other reason is though. :)

My bad - was fiddling around with that post a lot, not surprised I lost something during the cmb-backspacing bit.

The other was good gameplay. Team Fortress 2, Trine and Pokemon. Somehow half the examples ended up in the wrong bit. *goes to edit*.
3DS Friend Code: 1650-1811-1744

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
Wow harsh GoE. The game has great asthetics and gameplay, I love the motion controls, but it's the story which isn't paced (or present) for too much of the game.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
I can see where you're coming from. The story has moments, but they're lumped into massive chunks. Nothing like the brilliant story-telling of Metroid Prime. Or to use a Zelda example, Ocarina of Time.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
Yeah I gotta agree on some of the points being made, I mean its not a bad a game, in fact it is a very good game(NPC's have lots of personality, side-quests are plentiful, RPG system used for shields, potions etc) but there are some defifinte big points that bring it down(Fi, unable to bypass text discription after picking up an item, lack of story progression,etc)

It just feels hard to motivate myself to finish it, as I really wanna see how the story pans out.

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
I havn't played much of Skyward Sword, probably about 1 quater in or so.

However there are many design choices which for me impact the way a Zelda game should function and behave which ruined the experience for me.

I found many of the areas which you need to go through to get to the dugoens to be boring as all hell, flying is alkward, motion etc.

I've probably talked about my dissaproval with this game before.

Anyway I just wanted to share again while people who also havn't finished it are strugling to get through the title because of the design choices and story.

Really wish Nintendo kept this game in the oven a bit longer and made it a Wii U launch title, cause it clearly wasn't ready.

Akiyo

Akiyo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

I can see where you're coming from. The story has moments, but they're lumped into massive chunks. Nothing like the brilliant story-telling of Metroid Prime. Or to use a Zelda example, Ocarina of Time.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Ocarina of Time did the same thing with lumping its story at three points in the game (First time in Kokiri Forest, opening the Door of Time and Ganon's Tower). The only time they ever deviate from this is with the Deku Sprout, but that revelation was hardly surprising given parts of the dialogue at the start of the game.

Personally, I feel that Skyward Sword had a wonderful story, and easily the best in the series. I actually started the game trying to dislike Zelda (since her Twilight Princess incarnation was fairly boring/useless) but before long I actually cared about what was happening in the game and trying to find her again. I also really enjoyed the little things that connected it to the other games, like:

Spoiler

The only thing that I feel they actually did wrong in the game was Fi. Fi was just awful and I suspect that she doesn't actually know anything about probability.

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
For a computant being, Fi is rather crappy with her "probability predictions"... If you have one key, and there is only one door it can be used for... then I suggest a 100% probability that it's where it should be used, none of this other nonsense she spits out.

I emplore everyone who is yet to finish the game, and is struggling with it to persevere. It's a prequel anyway, stories are being made, Lore is being told for the first time... things are going to be different...
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts

I'm not sure what you mean here. Ocarina of Time did the same thing with lumping its story at three points in the game (First time in Kokiri Forest, opening the Door of Time and Ganon's Tower). The only time they ever deviate from this is with the Deku Sprout, but that revelation was hardly surprising given parts of the dialogue at the start of the game.

OoT at least had Shiek appearing, not to mention the sages, and plentiful NPCs loosely tied in with each dungeon as you progressed.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Yeah, what Plasma said. Sheik appeared fairly regularly and acted as a bit of a driving force to keep the player going. At least on the firsst playthough before it was obvious that she was Princess Zelda. Ghirahim sort of does in SS I guess, but that's a bit different I feel.

That's not to say the stoy told in SS is bad, like I said before, it has its moments. Just the telling of it, with gigantic lumps of it might've been improved.

The bigger problem in SS IMO was the lack of an overworld. Even Spirit Tracks had secret stations that could be found by doing sidequests and exploring dead end tracks. And even WW had more substantial things to discover on its numerous islands of which some of them had nothing. I'm hoping for something like the first Legend of Zelda as a basis for the overworld for the next game. Just with added towns and NPC's and mini-dungeons where tthere are secret caves. It'll be hard work, but I reckon it's possible with a long enough development cycle.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Akiyo

Akiyo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

OoT at least had Shiek appearing, not to mention the sages, and plentiful NPCs loosely tied in with each dungeon as you progressed.

I feel like this was taken out of context with your thoughts. Why is this significant for Skyward Sword when none of the other Zelda games are worse for not having these elements?

Yeah, what Plasma said. Sheik appeared fairly regularly and acted as a bit of a driving force to keep the player going. At least on the firsst playthough before it was obvious that she was Princess Zelda. Ghirahim sort of does in SS I guess, but that's a bit different I feel.

Spoiler

So what is it that makes these elements Skyward Sword's failings?

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
Yes, those times were excellent. But I guess it felt like I had just finished a dungeon, you get a tiny bit of story or whatever, then another dungeon instantly. I guess perhaps maybe without a "proper" overworld there is less of a feeling of progression in the "must find way to next dungeon". It kind of just lined them up more.

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
Maybe the next Zelda has more of a sleuth element, trying to find the entrance to the next dungeon... like the first Zelda on the NES, I spent ages trying to find certain dungeons...
Posted Image

morzag

morzag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
I've never found story points in Zelda to be a motivation to continue. The story's just sort of there providing structure and I could probably do just as well without it. What inspires me is the sense of conquering the environment as new items allow me to access more of it and take shortcuts.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

I've never found story points in Zelda to be a motivation to continue. The story's just sort of there providing structure and I could probably do just as well without it. What inspires me is the sense of conquering the environment as new items allow me to access more of it and take shortcuts.

Did you feel there was a lot of that in this game though?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts

Maybe the next Zelda has more of a sleuth element, trying to find the entrance to the next dungeon... like the first Zelda on the NES, I spent ages trying to find certain dungeons...

I guess I rather mean OoT, MM, TP, even WW all had fairly big ways of helping/affecting populations of NPCs that might surround or be associated with a dungeon.

morzag

morzag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Did you feel there was a lot of that in this game though?

Nope. The areas were very tightly designed, and there weren't many items at all. With such a limited inventory two of the items should have been dismissed as redundant (one from each of slingshot/bow and hookshot/whip) to make room for some more variety. I did maintain enough interest to play to completion and see all the areas, but it really was a mediocre installment overall.

Edited by morzag, 20 February 2012 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users