The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
I can't say the flaws were game-breaking though... except for that one game-breaking flaw... If you're not into spoilers, then don't google search the Skyward Sword game-breaking glitch. I suggest you do it though once you've got all the "B" items (beetle etc).
Posted Image

Currently counting my sets and it's increasing! (Prev 58)

cmpa1970

cmpa1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
up to the sandship end boss. but went back to skyloft to max out my upgrades. only sword left not maxed out.
3DS STREETPASS ROCKS! 5327-0991-4929
Wii U ID! cmpa1970

Coffee

Coffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I got this for Christmas, and just finished it this morning. The only things I disliked were how the controls seemed to slowly set themselves out of alignment as I played (though this could have been a problem with one/all of the parts of the controller)

It's a design problem in the controller that can be easily circumvented with a bit of clever programming which for some unfathomable reason Nintendo didn't do.

All of SS's motion control works on the M+, which is basically a bunch of gyros. Gyros are nice because they allow the game to determine where the controller is even if it's not pointing at the screen. But gyros accumulate error over time, which is why they need to be recalibrated every once in a while. (PS Move has similar problems due to everything it does relying on the gyros)

Now, the IR aiming is light, snappy and doesn't accumulate error. It's simple and ideal for aiming. For some reason, SS doesn't use it which makes no damn sense. More so because you can use the error-free data from the IR to periodically recalibrate the M+ gyro on the fly, thus wiping out the accumulating error. Red Steel 2 did it, and the devs pretty much boasted all the time about how great the system is. For some reason, Nintendo didn't bother. Something that applies to a ton of things in SS, sadly...

I can't say the flaws were game-breaking though... except for that one game-breaking flaw... If you're not into spoilers, then don't google search the Skyward Sword game-breaking glitch. I suggest you do it though once you've got all the "B" items (beetle etc).

Yeah. Fi is does not break the game. It breaks ME. :(

Edited by Coffee, 08 January 2012 - 10:00 PM.

The coffee cup's contents regret the general level of snark, but they've had enough of the game industry's BS. Wake up folks, just about everyone in the industry is insane, just about no one actually gives a sh!t, especially about you. Stock up on retro and board games 'cause Lala land isn't real and we're going off the deep end. The "everything's alright, progresprogressprogress" bubble's about to burst. Big time. It won't be pretty.

"Certainly after playing the original Zelda for the first time, I didn't ever think that I wanted to make a game like that." - Eiji Aonuma
"I am not blinded by fanboysim, I'm not biased." - NinjaDead

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Now, the IR aiming is light, snappy and doesn't accumulate error. It's simple and ideal for aiming. For some reason, SS doesn't use it which makes no damn sense. More so because you can use the error-free data from the IR to periodically recalibrate the M+ gyro on the fly, thus wiping out the accumulating error. Red Steel 2 did it, and the devs pretty much boasted all the time about how great the system is. For some reason, Nintendo didn't bother. Something that applies to a ton of things in SS, sadly...

You can't pretend that IR is perfect. Dead spots are a problem with it for one thing. For another, you have to be pointing at the sensor bar. This mmight be a more personal thing, but I liked how I could point wherever I wanted and center it where I wanted. I will concede though that the game doesn't do a good job of explaining this to players.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Coffee

Coffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I think I said it was the system to go to for aiming at the screen? And yes, it should be supplemented by M+. But, like, if I have to choose between IR only or M+ only, it's IR only all day. You need the IR there to make M+ actually work well.
The coffee cup's contents regret the general level of snark, but they've had enough of the game industry's BS. Wake up folks, just about everyone in the industry is insane, just about no one actually gives a sh!t, especially about you. Stock up on retro and board games 'cause Lala land isn't real and we're going off the deep end. The "everything's alright, progresprogressprogress" bubble's about to burst. Big time. It won't be pretty.

"Certainly after playing the original Zelda for the first time, I didn't ever think that I wanted to make a game like that." - Eiji Aonuma
"I am not blinded by fanboysim, I'm not biased." - NinjaDead

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
One problem in the theory... when you do vertical slashes, side slashes, vertical stabs... you need to hold the wiimote in a position that aims the sensor outside the screen boundaries, hence the need for M+ in these circumstances. Personally, having to hit the occasional D-Pad centre button is not an issue. Mostly if you just cancel whatever item you're using, centre the control and re-activate it (takes less than a second) you can get things back to central.

The combination of IR and M+ to calibrate would be much more beneficial to the user, but having one versus the other doesn't work in this game... or any game requiring an out-of-boundary controller scheme.
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
I have had almost no issues with the gryo controls. Hell, I fins it better than IR because you can hold the wiimote at whatever angle to the TV you like then set the "center". It's a simple press to reset the cursor.

Hell, everything that people have bitched over the top about in this thread I've found to be a mild annoyance at worst it would seem. <3 SS.

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
So I've put some more time into SS, just finished Desert Part 2 (o lawds dat boss design) and mucking around a bit.

Went back to the volcanic area for the first time since "round 1" and it's nice to see a few little NPC changes, as well as being able to explore and find stuff I missed on the first pass.

I will say though that in hindsight, the environment design of SS is lacking quite a bit, such as stupid obvious item-use-points dotting the landscape, where it could have been more "naturalised" as vines or other things. SS is straightforwards and simple and gamey, but I guess it's not as atmospheric or "natural" as previous Zelda titles.

Oh, and I booted up TP yesterday for lulz, and wow. It's like WEARING MUD GOGGLES.

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

cmpa1970

cmpa1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i only have on issue with the controls & i know it's me. it's the skydiving parts. i can't skydive fowards when jumping of a ledge to aim somewhere. i know, sounds stupid. so i'm yet to get the baby rattle in skyloft (try as i might). & after getting the fire earings aiming for the pillers for the hidden goddess cube. i'll need to find someone to do those parts for me...... :(
3DS STREETPASS ROCKS! 5327-0991-4929
Wii U ID! cmpa1970

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
A hint for the skydiving parts, which I'm not sure if they're explained in the manual properly or not...

IN PREPARATION... stand up... give yourself plenty of wrist/arm movement for some complex positions, that or hold the wiimote by the tip of your fingers like a pen/pencil.

To move forward, you will have to tilt the wiimote towards the ground A LOT but beware, if you go nearly vertical you will do a very speedy dive downwards... this will move you forward as much as you can (durr) but rather fast.

Tilting the wiimote side to side and towards vertical will move you in said directions, and close to horizontal will slow you down...

What I figured out that I had no idea about and baffled me a bit, was that if you rotate the wiimote clockwise or anti-clockwise on a plane orthogonal to your sensor bar, your forward path of decent will rotate at a speed dependant on how far around you have rotated it.... until I worked this out, I was wondering how my precise calculated decent (particularly on the Fun Fun Island game) was ruined...

Hopefully this will help, and I don't think I got the baby rattle dive perfect until I'd done it at least 3-4 times.
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
I got it straight away. I find twisting then falling "sideways" is best.

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
Hmmm, forming some more apinions on SS.

It's the best Zelda game so far in terms of visuals, characterization of NPCs and main characters and inventory/collectibles system.

Where it falls over is of course the overworld and general lack of cocking about/explorability. And what explorability there is is hampered by the fact they're three very sepearte areas, unlike the coolness of finding a hidden route from one are to another in other Zelda games.

I can only imagine how brilliant SS could have been on a more powerful console. Just imagine if instead of just Skyland, it was flying your bird around and over an enormous ocean with islands dotting the water... or something.

Also I'm finding the main story progression/pacing, whilst certainly more "hands on" than NOWDOFIVEDUNGEONSKTHXBYE, is pretty jerky.

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
So after several weeks waiting for the very slow postage, my copy of Skyward Sword finally arrived a few days ago. It was a belated Christmas Gift, so I figured why the hell not; at least I would be able to finally judge the game first hand. Thus far, the game is holding its own after what was a fairly boring introduction; the second area has been a lot more interesting and the pace is starting to pick up a bit. More of my thoughts after the jump.

Spoiler

Edited by Toadsiliwraith, 06 February 2012 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Xenoblade fanart used in signature by 0こめ0

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts
... seriously, how can you NOT like Fortune guy. It's really refreshing and great to have such characterful and emotive Zelda characters!

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

... seriously, how can you NOT like Fortune guy. It's really refreshing and great to have such characterful and emotive Zelda characters!

Its funny I thought it was a girl at first when I saw the big beady eyes, and then I saw the moustache. The character personalitites are distinctive though, which is good as they're memorable.

I've come up to the part
Spoiler

Edited by Polde, 06 February 2012 - 09:48 PM.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
Toad, with you on all the points except the second last one. I loved the characterisations in the game. I really wanted to hug them Kikwi's and the elder made me laugh. Not to say the Mogma's are bad, they're great too.

Kukiel's dad is one NPC that sticks out, merely for the way he says "Thank you".
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Toad, with you on all the points except the second last one. I loved the characterisations in the game. I really wanted to hug them Kikwi's and the elder made me laugh. Not to say the Mogma's are bad, they're great too.

Kukiel's dad is one NPC that sticks out, merely for the way he says "Thank you".

Dont get me wrong, I do think some of the characters are genuinely good. The Bazaar salesman's look when you decline to purchase something (along with his recovery) got a good chuckle out of me, and the Mogmas, although somewhat goofy in appearence, do give me a good vibe with how they go about in conversations. I just don't happen to like all of them; the clown on Fun Fun Island is much worse than the Fortune Teller if that's any redemption from Plasman's "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE SOMETHING I DO HOW ARE YOU A HUMAN BEING" state. :P

Chewing through the batteries like there's no tomorrow no thanks to the extra demands of the WiiMotion Plus, however. :/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
What types of batteries are you using? I went through two sets of Alkalines for the whole playthrough. They lasted me fairly well.

The way I've ended up thinking about this game is that some of the highs are truly awesome gaming moments, but the lows are also quite bad.

Also, Toad some little things you might want to try (if you haven't already). Have you tried stabbing a pumpkin? Have you tried leaving Beedle's shop without buying anything?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,474 posts

Dont get me wrong, I do think some of the characters are genuinely good. The Bazaar salesman's look when you decline to purchase something (along with his recovery) got a good chuckle out of me, and the Mogmas, although somewhat goofy in appearence, do give me a good vibe with how they go about in conversations. I just don't happen to like all of them; the clown on Fun Fun Island is much worse than the Fortune Teller if that's any redemption from Plasman's "OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE SOMETHING I DO HOW ARE YOU A HUMAN BEING" state. :P

Chewing through the batteries like there's no tomorrow no thanks to the extra demands of the WiiMotion Plus, however. :/

Hey, HEY! Stop hyperboleing my hyperbole :(

SS has many many cute little "mannerisms" but I very much agree that the overworld and story pacing (asides from the great setup) are sorely lacking.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
The Sky made me miss Wind Waker's overworld. I maintain, with a bit more work, Wind Waker could've had the best overworld. Hopefully, now that they have some power under the hood (though that didn't really stop Monolith), they'll give us an overworld which will be a joy to explore and find treasure which will be useful on the journey. Am I the only person who wouldn't mind something like the original's overworld, just with towns added and the secret caves containing mini-dungeons like some secret areas in TP?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Medrad

Medrad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
I agree with you there PG. I'm looking forward to a new Zelda with a great overworld that's fully traversable on foot (with exception to some areas that are limited to item usage). Maybe reintroduce the flying bird warping on LTTP?? Just a suggestion. Something like Zelda 2, towns scattered around over the map, different areas with different aspects, come to think about it, that's more like OoT or MM... yeah, bring that back. Maybe not have a horse riding around, but maybe some other sort of temporary transport? Could you imagine if the next Zelda game got the same sort of environmental treatment that Xenoblade had? Huge landscapes, many caves and enclosed areas that needed to be navigated... I need a Zelda like that! Bring it on in HD and I'll be first to lay down the money!
Posted Image

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

I agree with you there PG. I'm looking forward to a new Zelda with a great overworld that's fully traversable on foot (with exception to some areas that are limited to item usage). Maybe reintroduce the flying bird warping on LTTP?? Just a suggestion. Something like Zelda 2, towns scattered around over the map, different areas with different aspects, come to think about it, that's more like OoT or MM... yeah, bring that back. Maybe not have a horse riding around, but maybe some other sort of temporary transport? Could you imagine if the next Zelda game got the same sort of environmental treatment that Xenoblade had? Huge landscapes, many caves and enclosed areas that needed to be navigated... I need a Zelda like that! Bring it on in HD and I'll be first to lay down the money!

Now that you mention warping and Xenoblade, going through areas in Skyward Sword makes me realise just how AMAZING and CONVENIENT the quick warp system in Xenoblade was. There was one instance where I realised I missed a chest in
Spoiler
, but it was all the way on the other side of the map. In order to get near it, I had to find a bird statue, warp back to the Sky, drop back down into the area, and THEN select the desired location to get close to the treasure chest. Plus, having to fly all the way back to Skyloft EVERY time I want to open up a new area... urgh.

Still, I get the feeling the although there are a few hidden nooks and crannies around the place, each area feels rather small, especially considering backtracking through these areas later down the line.

Now up to ...
Spoiler

Edited by Toadsiliwraith, 08 February 2012 - 08:41 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
The team that did the desert area gets the highest kudos from me. Easily the best area of the game in my mind.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Dash135

Dash135

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'm really liking the Lanyaru desert, probably my favourite out of the woods and volcano. I've seen the Good Game review and realise that the time shift crystals are going to have a part to play in the dungeon (picking up and moving the crystal). I think it's going to be really cool, love the moments when you see the area just bloom into life after hitting the crystal. Just up to the
Spoiler

Edited by Dash135, 08 February 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Toadsiliwraith

Toadsiliwraith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Alrighty, so thus far I'm now up to

Spoiler

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users