VOOK

Nintendo's pass through anything

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):VOOK64
  • PSN Name:VOOK
  • Xbox Gamertag:VOOK
img src=http://www.vooks.net/images/newsimages/sonicClassDS.jpg width=44 height=44 border=1 align=left hspace=5EB are selling US copies of Sonic Classic Collection which are region locked pOur continued a href=http://www.vooks.net/story-19055-DSi-regionlocking-confusing-catching-people-unware.htmlfight/a against region locking on the DSi has again scalped another victim. EB Games Australia is selling re-stickered US copies of em class=bbcSonic Classic Collection/em for the DS which, of course, means that these games wonrsquo;t work in any Australian Nintendo DSi or DSi XL units (DS Lites are immune from this region-locking nonsense). Donrsquo;t be fooled by the boxart below; thatrsquo;s an American copy and, unlike the Australian version, features no markings or warnings whatsoever as to its region-locked nature./pdiv align=centerimg src=http://www.vooks.net/images/sonicClassic.jpg alt= //divpbr /We wonrsquo;t go into why EB is selling a quot;preownedquot; copy of a game for $22 more than the RRP of the Australian version (when the sale isnrsquo;t on) but thatrsquo;s pretty sad too. This isnrsquo;t just one EB store who has fallen victim to a trade-in though, these are new copies of the game being sold as new much like a href=http://www.vooks.net/story-18683-Henry-Hatsworth-sneaks-into-Aussie-stores.htmlem class=bbcHenry Hatsworth/em/a was. br /br /We tested the cartridge with the store clerk as well just to be sure. They didnrsquo;t seem to mind, saying quot;Yeah, it happens with some gamesquot;. Caring. br /br /So the stupidity of DSi region locking continues and consumers and gamers get even more confused by region locking that simply shouldnrsquo;t exist.br /br /Well be contacting EB Games for a response, but were sure they know what theyre doing./p

View Article on Homepage

Posted Image

The Prophet

The Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
Thanks a lot Vook! I was very tempted at buying the US version of Sonic Classic Collection but relented and bought No More Heroes instead and thank god I did. Are you still persisting with getting any reason why Sega Australia and Ubisoft are doing this to their DS games in Australia?
Posted Image

Dude, the chick's a MILF.

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image

VOOK

VOOK

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
It's not just in Australia, it now plagues the rest of the world.

Posted Image

The Prophet

The Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
I hope some smart cookie creates a modchip for the DSis or at least something for us to bypass DSi region locking.
Posted Image

(Chibi) ^-^ (Nation)

(Chibi) ^-^ (Nation)

Pokemon? pfft how lame....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,559 posts
If it's just pre-owned games and not brand new ones that are the issue, then you can't really blame EB. There isn't really anything stopping someone getting American games and trading them in. The games tend to use the same box art and it is difficult to monitor who you sell them too.

VOOK

VOOK

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
Chibi more than one store has this, we checked. If it was just one store I'd agree but at least three other stores (in two states) are doing this. They are 'new' games too, they're all in perfect condition just like Henry Hatsworth was. They're just selling it as 'preowned'.

The yellow sticker also means the game came from HQ and wasn't stickered in store. At least this is what my information tells me.

Posted Image

The Prophet

The Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
Wouldn't that get EB blacklisted by distributors and local subsidiaries?
Posted Image

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Wouldn't that get EB blacklisted by distributors and local subsidiaries?

I don't think so just cause of how big and important they are. Game Traders does this with importing and they are blacklisted from some people (ie Nintendo) but compared to say EB they are small scale, where as EB is the largest Video Game retail chain in Australia which I imagine gives them a little more leeway over the distributors.
Posted Image

PROFI

PROFI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

The yellow sticker also means the game came from HQ and wasn't stickered in store. At least this is what my information tells me.

Only the large yellow ones, the one shown in the picture has been stickered in store
DJ PROFI
www.mixcrate.com/djprofi

VOOK

VOOK

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
Thanks for the clarification.

Posted Image

The Prophet

The Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
I think this is good in a way, if there are games out of print.
Posted Image

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I think this is good in a way, if there are games out of print.

Not sure what you mean.
Posted Image

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
This isn't the first time something like this has happened.

A while ago I saw an EB Games in Tasmania selling an NTSC-US version Dragon Quest Swords for the Wii.

Posted Image

I had that same problem, I ended up just button mashing till it worked

RandomVince

RandomVince

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
I think its obvious whats going on (in the case of Dragon Quest Swords it was just someone pulling a swifty on a trade in deal).

But with the DS/DSi games EB are buying up stock for cheap from the UK/US markets and selling them as preowned. It makes them a tidy profit because the Australian dollar is pretty strong right now. Because they arent from local purchases for tax purposes, they would have to take them as 'preowned' titles and sell them as such.

They used to buy large quantities of UK PAL games that never got released locally IIRC, or in limited quantities on first run. Some examples I know of include Gitaroo Man, Advent Rising, and currently a lot of copies of Dragon Quest V on DS (incidentally that one is not region locked and is in stock now so grab it while you can as Ive found it damn near impossible to get elsewhere).

Polde

Polde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
Damn region-coding. Hopefully now publishers can put some type of label to distinguish it from local copies.

flamecondor

flamecondor

Awesome Member

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Damn region-coding. Hopefully now publishers can put some type of label to distinguish it from local copies.

I think instead of hopeing for labelling we should hope that Nintendo does not continue through with this and goes back to the way things have been for the last 20 years AND NOT REGION LOCK THEIR HANDHELDS, I can understand console games to a degree, but to region lock handhleds is just such a backwards thinking thing it s god damn joke.
Posted Image

PROFI

PROFI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts
Well all Preowned come with a 12 month warranty, so if someone finds that their game doesn't work, any EB employee will replace it for you within 12 months of purchase, or track a copy down for you
DJ PROFI
www.mixcrate.com/djprofi

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Thats classic them.

RandomVince

RandomVince

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
Technically speaking, Sega region locking their games so no-one can play them would be a good thing around the time Sonic 4 launches.

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

A while ago I saw an EB Games in Tasmania selling an NTSC-US version Dragon Quest Swords for the Wii.

But aren't the differences between ESRB and OFLC stickers obvious? Unless the trader-inner put a fake one on, or more unlikely that an EB employee did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

AyJay100

AyJay100

Giant Space Baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
Nope it clearly had an ESRB rating on it.

Posted Image

I had that same problem, I ended up just button mashing till it worked

RandomVince

RandomVince

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
What happened is that someone traded in an ntsc copy. When the clerk tried scanning it in, it didnt recognise the US barcode, so they manually typed it in in their trade in screen. The employee obviously didnt notice it was a NTSC copy. Its nothing unusual to see from time to time. A good way to offload your accidental ebay purchases from the wrong region or if they are crap games. Just do it when theyre busy (ie during a sale).

playa271

playa271

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

A good way to offload your accidental ebay purchases from the wrong region or if they are crap games. Just do it when theyre busy (ie during a sale).

he knows his stuff :rawk:
NnzUelS.gif
sig.gif

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
Today I saw Wii Cricket in EB Games, only, it was Ashes Cricket 2009 - the UK version - with a OFLC sticker stuck over the top of the PEGI rating. It also had English players on the front cover (eww).

I dunno if the content is different, (I think there are different licenses; in the AU version only the AU team has proper names, other countries have pseudonyms) but surely they can't do it. The two versions released at different times, and have different names. My point is that it's a different product, masquerading as one that was released locally.

Edited by benanen, 23 June 2010 - 01:28 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users