Noob 1 *
Junior Member 2 *
Member 50 **
Baby Bowser 150 ***
Luigi 450 ****
Wario 750 *****
Bowser 1500 *****
Mario 2000 ******

Now that was the old system. I don't know the new one because I'm on 5 stars but I have over 2000 posts.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Toddich

Toddich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts
So why is my title link?
Posted Image

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted Image

The mother of all Fast Reply buttons...

I like it.

Edited by ExciteD, 23 April 2009 - 07:18 PM.

VOOK

VOOK

Nintendo's pass through anything

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID (NNID):VOOK64
  • PSN Name:VOOK
  • Xbox Gamertag:VOOK
The buttons I'm still working on so don't expect them today - That fast reply one is done though.

Regarding the rank system, It's "in transition" - I had to change some ranks due to the stars, and only some ranks have the "Half" as you can see on ExciteD. It's hard to come up with a ranking system that has a good variance, you want to promote people post and rank up that are new so you let them get to 1 star pretty quickly, but eventually as the board gets older everyone ends up on 5 and 6 stars.

JC has been here since 06 and has one star, Phantom Ganon has too but has 5 - no member less of a member then the other and the system judges people on post counts, which is wrong. Perhaps it should be stars x time, but then some people who posted here for a while then took off could have 5.

So I'm working on it, any feed back is appreciated.

Posted Image

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,702 posts
Well I should have 4 but at the moment I seem to have only 2. They must work in halves too cause ExciteD has half a star.

EDIT: Vook said it while I was typing...

Edited by benanen, 23 April 2009 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Stars are cool! Just don't over kill it with stars.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

Online Event Co-ordinator

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
It's hard to find a balance isn't it? It's a very fine line. I'd say a respect sort of system which encourages good posts and discourages bad ones where you can rep up a person per day and rep down one as well, but that would probably fall prey to people constantly down repping people who might be contributing well. And it doesn't fix your problem about no member being better than the other. But that also brings uyp what you want the stars to represent. Maybe they're fine because they represent those who've contributed the most (aka in posts). But then that might be bad because half the posts could be spam!

I need to sleep......

Just for the record the reason why J.C has been here the same amount of years as me is because I told him to jump on (back then he was a neighbour) and the reason his post count is quite low is because he hasn't had internet while he was moving (a farily hefty period). So there's something that you're right about VOOK, the fact that he couldn't have posted as much as me because he hasn't had the internet for a while.

Edited by Phantom Ganon, 23 April 2009 - 07:39 PM.

SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Pretty stars under our names too.

I only get HALF A STAR?! That grey half of the star is MOCKING me, DARING me to make more posts...

Edited by ExciteD, 23 April 2009 - 07:40 PM.

VOOK

VOOK

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
That system Phantom Posted is out of date.

New Member 0
Noob 1
Junior Member 2
Member 50
Baby Bowser 150 *
Luigi 450 **
Wario 750 ***
Bowser 1500 ***
Mario 2000 ****
Link 3500 ****
Metal Mario 5000 *****
Master Hand 10000 ******

As you can see the titles make no sense and are an left over remnant from the CubeAustralia site.

@PG Yeah see that's what I mean, no person is less of a member because they post less - people post here as much as they can/want.

Posted Image

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
There's some more stuff we could suggest then. The way the ranking system could be named. An that one is tough too. I was going to say we use an enemy system from either Mario or Zelda but even that is subject to trivialization. Quite clearly Octorok/Goomba would go first but after that, who knows?
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

VOOK

VOOK

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
And do we really want to use Mario characters, why not all Nintendo characters? Why not something to just like Noob, Junior, Advanced,Senior etc...

Anyway something to look at more indepth post Arcturus.

Posted Image

Toddich

Toddich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

It's hard to find a balance isn't it? It's a very fine line. I'd say a respect sort of system which encourages good posts and discourages bad ones where you can rep up a person per day and rep down one as well, but that would probably fall prey to people constantly down repping people who might be contributing well. And it doesn't fix your problem about no member being better than the other. But that also brings uyp what you want the stars to represent. Maybe they're fine because they represent those who've contributed the most (aka in posts). But then that might be bad because half the posts could be spam!

There was a big discussion on that quite a while ago. The verdict was that people would abuse it.
Posted Image

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
I think you should rank people based on their average daily posts since registration—or, instead, if someone goes on holidays or something and comes back to find a lower average, you can make it an average of the last, for example, 90 days so that they can regain their average more easily. I hope that makes sense. In other words, it would encourage all members (especially new ones) to post more often. Hmm, but then you wouldn't be able to distinguish the top posters from the noobs, damn.

Edited by ExciteD, 23 April 2009 - 07:58 PM.

Phantom Ganon

Phantom Ganon

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
That's not that bad an idea. One obvious issue would be if someone has to go away for a while though. It would drop their rating for absolutely no reason other than the fact that they had to go away. Which I guess would encourage members to come back but it might also inspire laziness and cause people to not return anyway. I guess it does also fall subject to people who spam get a higher rating. So maybe not ideal but I dunno.
SOLID GOLD SON
Posted Image

Obscurus

Obscurus

Devourer of All Living Things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
I do like the stars, another nice, uninvasive thing. But maybe make them smaller?

I dunno, the mini profile thing (under the avatar) is big enough as it is, and doesnt have to add extra scrolling distance.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image And 2007
Posted Image

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

I guess it does also fall subject to people who spam get a higher rating.

And so we come back to the main issue. If we're all so worried about people spamming, then why have a system at all?

Anyway, I'll just throw in another idea: first we take off the stars. And then we have a system (not technically a ranking system, and it would potentially chuck total posts out the window) whereby members are given titles based on where they post during a previous time period.

Before I hurt my head, let me try and explain how it could work. Ranks/titles would be allocated for each subforum and for the Vooks forum in general. The title/rank a member can attain would be based on the percentage and number of their posts the member makes in that subforum within a period of, for example, the last 30 days.
In the "simplest" example, if the highest percentage of a member's posts are in the Chatter subforum, then a title would be shown based on that subforum e.g. Chatterbox. THEN, it would look at how many posts that member made in Chatter; the higher the number, the higher the rank e.g. Super Chatterbox, Ultra Chatterbox etc.

I've sort of lost my point now, but I think it would reduce competition of post counts and because there are more titles available, each is given more prestige.

You know what, forget everything I just said. I'm so tired.

Edited by ExciteD, 23 April 2009 - 08:50 PM.

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts

You're beyond perfect and are now a god.

;D

They clash a bit with the rest of the design I think, but *shrug*

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

Toddich

Toddich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts
Ilike the idea of having Nintendo icons but there's more to Nintendo then just mario. Need some zelda asap. I still think PhaGs idea of heart containers is the better.
Posted Image

AllRoundGamer

AllRoundGamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Aww I went down from 4 to 3 :(

I do like the ranks, also I think if you could make them slightly smaller it would look awesome, like obs suggested

EDIT: Heart containers would be Epic!

Edited by Thekid, 23 April 2009 - 09:53 PM.

Posted Image
|PSN - AllRoundGamer_|XBL - AllRoundGamerAU|Wii - 8164-8624-9759-1233|
Pokemon Black: 2065-0127-6718

Excite

Excite

• Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
In keeping with the blue theme, maybe have blue rupees instead. Or a single rupee but different colours.

Edited by ExciteD, 24 April 2009 - 08:30 AM.

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
How about coloured rupees? Each time u pass a stage u get more rupees.

AllRoundGamer

AllRoundGamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Could work, i'd still prefer heart containers though.

The new Fast reply, Add reply, New topic buttons look sweet. Gives the forum a new feel you know? .... :confused:

Posted Image
|PSN - AllRoundGamer_|XBL - AllRoundGamerAU|Wii - 8164-8624-9759-1233|
Pokemon Black: 2065-0127-6718

trin

trin

.trinest™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
Yeah I like the new buttons- they rock :)

benanen

benanen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,702 posts

And so we come back to the main issue. If we're all so worried about people spamming, then why have a system at all?

Anyway, I'll just throw in another idea: first we take off the stars. And then we have a system (not technically a ranking system, and it would potentially chuck total posts out the window) whereby members are given titles based on where they post during a previous time period.

Before I hurt my head, let me try and explain how it could work. Ranks/titles would be allocated for each subforum and for the Vooks forum in general. The title/rank a member can attain would be based on the percentage and number of their posts the member makes in that subforum within a period of, for example, the last 30 days.
In the "simplest" example, if the highest percentage of a member's posts are in the Chatter subforum, then a title would be shown based on that subforum e.g. Chatterbox. THEN, it would look at how many posts that member made in Chatter; the higher the number, the higher the rank e.g. Super Chatterbox, Ultra Chatterbox etc.

I've sort of lost my point now, but I think it would reduce competition of post counts and because there are more titles available, each is given more prestige.

You know what, forget everything I just said. I'm so tired.

Neat idea but it might be a bit fiddly to set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Member of the de Blob cult of win | tumblr | Last.fm | Steam

PlasmaDavid

PlasmaDavid

Send in more planes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
Hey look, dudey guys on the reply options!

"You're like the James of road construction sites." - NinjaCatfish
"I can't pick which game to like less!" - NinjaCatfish
"It's like the pokemon rap for nerds." - NinjaCatfish

"Cease and remove all published material that you are attributing to my name or further legal action will be taken." - NinjaCatfish

"I never even said that last one!" - Ninja"StupidHead"Catfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users